Blizzard: We'd Probably Agree to Do a StarCraft Movie if James Cameron Was Invol

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Don't hold your breath on seeing JC working on this sort of project. Won't happen. Still, any decent director with the right script could make an entertaining movie from the basis of SC. It is an automatic for sequels as well.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]yes... he would be nice.However, if you want the movie to be great... I want Peter Jackson and make another 3 movies (ugh... 1 big movie cut to 3 piece) out of it..[/citation]

peter jackson is overrated.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I thought Starship Troopers was a Starcraft movie. Anyway, a real SC movie could be could, but it's the Warcraft movie I'm really into.

There were not Protoss in Starship Troopers
They already made a WoW movie call Lord of the Rings

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]I want Warcraft TV series. As dark as possible. Make it 18+ :) violence, and pretty stuff[/citation]
[citation][nom]Kryan[/nom]Uwe Boll?[/citation]
That man creates abominations!

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Yup, that's why I picked him.Contentious but Alien was the best of all the Alien movies, also he has Blade Runner under his belt. The two best sci-fi movies ever made and same dude at the helm? Not a coincidence.The only other Director I can think of that would create a whole visual eco-system for a totally immersive experience would be Terry Gilliam, sure some of his older films look a bit dated but Jabberwocky and Time Bandits got blockbuster reception from art-house budgets. When you give him a bit more money to work with you get things like 12 Monkeys.[/citation]Neither of them would do it, it's not something they actually have an affinity for. I like both Ridley Scott and Terry Gilliam, but Gilliam is much to interested in society and history, and So is Scott. Sadly SC has the depth of a spoon, it's a bunch of cut scenes strung together to give a semi-coherent plot to a bunch of military missions. There's not enough story in Starcraft for either of them to even peek at it, nor is there enough depth. Cameron on the other hand has the ability to gloss over the poorness of the story and throw together something that still resembles a fair movie. And Cameron's movies have about the same amount of content, I think he's a great choice. Besides which, think of the money Blizzard (Activison) would make. They're not going to settle for someone who can't rake in hundreds of millions. Hell, if the 100mil development costs for SCII are accurate, and the three million sold are also accurate, they've only just recouped their development costs. This is not a profit by Blizzards standards, they need to rake in a lot more to feel like the project was worth it.

tommyp81

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
James Camron, Steven Spielberg either of these two could turn this into an amazing movie.
Go go StarCraft trilogy, i promise i'll actually pay to go watch it :p

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]theubersmurf[/nom]Sadly SC has the depth of a spoon, it's a bunch of cut scenes strung together to give a semi-coherent plot to a bunch of military missions[/citation]
You just described every movie ever made by Roland Emmerich

thehockeyinjun

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
The Original Starship troopers, was as close to it (SC2) as possible. But 2, 3 and a possible 4, TERRIBLE! Why do they have do get a b movie director for stuff like that? Im sure there is enough sponsorship to pay for a good movie.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Because of Avatar, everything and i mean everything is 3D now. I can't even get gas without seeing a some bs in 3D. gimicks...I believe something is truly 3D when you don't wear glasses and the objects are projected from the floor or ceiling into a cubed area and objects will block out other objects at certain points depending on your seat in the theater. But at any rate, good luck on another 3D movie. JMO

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You just described every movie ever made by Roland Emmerich[/citation]Well, Idk, maybe he's a better choice to direct a SC movie, but I'm not as familiar with his work, so I'm not actually able to posit an opinion one way or another.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
A Cameron, Nolan, or Jackson directed SC movie could be pretty badass. That said there are some directors *cough* Ewe Boll *cough* that shouldn't be let anywhere near a Blizzard movie...or any video game movie for that matter. :)

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I believe James likes computer games, so there might be a chance that he might say yes to such a project.

There have been discussions regarding his latest movie Avatar that he got inspiration from the old computer game Unreal. For example the name of the Navi people is very close to the Nali in Unreal. The storyline of the Avatar movie was actually developed long before the movie was in production.

Edit - Thought I could add a link to a discussion:
ForumPlanet on Avatar's Unreal influences

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]theubersmurf[/nom]Well, Idk, maybe he's a better choice to direct a SC movie, but I'm not as familiar with his work, so I'm not actually able to posit an opinion one way or another.[/citation]
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000386/
Such luminary titles as:-
Independance Day
Godzilla
Eight Legged Freaks
The Day After Tomorrow

Sure, lots of CGI and action and booming orchestral score with aliens, mosters, the world being destroyed and Will Smith shouting "Man, you did NOT shoot that green sh*t at me!".
But the characters are one dimensional and have all the depth of a car park puddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS