Info BNC cable to RBG

unice2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
OK... I'm going from the DVR - BNC to the TV - RBG. But I bought a converter and it was the wrong body part, so..... I was about to order a BNC gender changer, but then I saw this: " VGA BNC Cable 10' HD 15-pin to Analog 5 BNC Component RGB Video" . I looked, in the beginning, for a cord that would go from BNC to the other end component RBG, but couldn't find any such thing. This one has some words that bother me in it, so I'm not sure it's what I need. Analog 5? and HD 15-pin? Should I ignore those words, or would that be a problem?
Thanks, in advance!

What it's doing is converting from this
Vga-cable.jpg

To these
1920px-BNC_connectors.jpg

On a side note, do you know exactly what connector or connectors are coming out of the video source and what the video consumer device needs? If you can give us this, then we don't have to play blindfolded darts on what you should be getting.

Reactions: unice2
OK... I'm going from the DVR - BNC to the TV - RBG. But I bought a converter and it was the wrong body part, so..... I was about to order a BNC gender changer, but then I saw this: " VGA BNC Cable 10' HD 15-pin to Analog 5 BNC Component RGB Video" . I looked, in the beginning, for a cord that would go from BNC to the other end component RBG, but couldn't find any such thing. This one has some words that bother me in it, so I'm not sure it's what I need. Analog 5? and HD 15-pin? Should I ignore those words, or would that be a problem?
Thanks, in advance!
HD 15-pin is that blue one, ordinary analog (signal) for VGA input/output.
On the other side are so called BNC connectors for coaxial cables. One of them is for composite video input, one for output and others for sound.
https://www.amphenolrf.com/rf-connectors/bnc-connectors.html
What outputs are there in the DVR and which inputs on TV ?

unice2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Thank you!
I'm sure my description isn't as helpful as pictures, so I receive your good advice and thank you. Here are pix of the connectors on both units. I think the DVR has only one output? for video. Oh, oh! and one for audio. Ooops, forgot about hooking that part up too, didn't I? I was only thinking about making the camera come through on my TV screen.

So that audio part brings up another question I've had, but have not asked about yet::
I want to make my TV have bluetooth so I can take the audio with me wherever I go in the house. Is there a way to do that as well?
I once bought some little USB plugs that I was told would give me bluetooth if I plugged one into my TV, but it didn't work at all, they gave back my money and didn't even ask me to send them back.

So, back to the original issue:
The DVR:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/6...Bunker-Hill-Security-68332.html?page=9#manual
The TV:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/504066/Emerson-Clc320em2f.html?page=9#manual
the TV has more input choices.... either HDMI, RBG or 15 pin holes,,, maybe more?

I called the DVR help desk and was told the best way would be to get an adapter or converter from BNC to HDMI so I ordered from walmart a converter/adapter from BNC to HDMI. I was thinking all along that I was going from BNC to RBG since that's what the back of the TV looked like to me. Not sure if I know enough about HDMI, but I did get a cable for HDMI just in case. And I got a cable with those 5 cords, RBG and two more, not sure what the extra two are for?

( I said earlier that the converter was BNC to RBG, I really messed up, I forgot, it was BNC to HDMI. Sorry for the confusion.)

But the unit that was shipped to me has a female BNC end and needs a male, I believe. https://www.walmart.com/ip/HDMI-to-...-Support-for-NTSC-PAL/5543133586?from=/search

So! Since I have to order more stuff, (y'all taught me about a gender changer, Thank you! ...which I will order anyway, next)
but ...would any other connection choice be better? or is it all the same once it's connected - no matter which way?
What would YOU DO if it was your choice and you were a penny pincher like me? Thanks so much for your help!
And... sincere apologies for all the confusion...

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with getting video from the DVR itself to the TV via the Video BNC Output. I would contact them again and ask which app to download to your phone and/or AppleTV. Go digital, get out of the Analog world... its 2024!
The video output is to monitor the device directly, which might be useful if OP wants to view what's going on at any time. And if OP needs to pull the videos from the DVR, there are USB ports for that purpose.

There's also the question of whether or not those apps are even available on an app store or if it's compatible with whatever version of OS their phone is using.

And even in the modern age, I find using phone apps cumbersome at best. Like my dash cam has an app I can use to pull videos from it. It might sound convenient, but I have to connect to it via a local Wi-Fi hotspot, and I'd still have to copy the videos from my phone to somewhere else. But I can also just pull out the SD card, put it in an SD card reader, and be on my merry way.

unice2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
The DVR output looks like it's limited to SD video resolution, which likely means it's either NTSC or PAL composite video. So you need a BNC to RCA converter.
Thank you so much. So glad I sent the pix. I think that was the other option the help desk gave me, because I think he asked me if the TV had an RCA connector. I should've sent him the pix too. So his RCA to MIDI isn't that good of an idea, huh?

Last edited:

unice2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I wouldn't bother with getting video from the DVR itself to the TV via the Video BNC Output. I would contact them again and ask which app to download to your phone and/or AppleTV. Go digital, get out of the Analog world... its 2024!
Thank you. I kind of like the wired cameras more than the wireless kind. Seems safer to me, but what do I know? but I do like it that I can get it to my phone as well, if needed. I'll contact them again if necessary though. 2024 is NOT going forward, in my opinion. 2024 is going backwards in advancements. All our upgrades on all our apps at work seem to be downgrades. Actually they are! like they were designed by a child who has never worked our job, reinventing the wheel, not improving it. I think they're trying to make us crazy. It's unbelievable to me. No one answers business calls any more, even searches online don't go where you tell them to go... people go to hospitals in emergencies for help and it seems they just go there to die. 2024 sucks. To me it seems intentional. Everything used to get better and better but 2024 is getting worse and worse, like it's now about shutting us down. IMHO

Last edited:

unice2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
The video output is to monitor the device directly, which might be useful if OP wants to view what's going on at any time. And if OP needs to pull the videos from the DVR, there are USB ports for that purpose.

There's also the question of whether or not those apps are even available on an app store or if it's compatible with whatever version of OS their phone is using.

And even in the modern age, I find using phone apps cumbersome at best. Like my dash cam has an app I can use to pull videos from it. It might sound convenient, but I have to connect to it via a local Wi-Fi hotspot, and I'd still have to copy the videos from my phone to somewhere else. But I can also just pull out the SD card, put it in an SD card reader, and be on my merry way.
Yes, Yes, Yes! Thank you so much! I tried to hook it up myself and never could monitor it on my TV, that's why I called the help desk. Not sure what OP means but I think you have it right. I agree with you about phone apps too!
And....you brought to mind another question. I wonder if you'd know the answer to~speaking of dash cam sd cards:
Is there a way to recapture a segment that my dash cam recorded over? I saved the card just in case there's a chance. Priceless info, I wish I could get back, I hoped... but I'm sure would probably take an expert to get it, huh?

Thank you so much. So glad I sent the pix. I think that was the other option the help desk gave me, because I think he asked me if the TV had an RCA connector. I should've sent him the pix too. So his RCA to MIDI isn't that good of an idea, huh?
Probably not. :p

Yes, Yes, Yes! Thank you so much! I tried to hook it up myself and never could monitor it on my TV, that's why I called the help desk. Not sure what OP means but I think you have it right. I agree with you about phone apps too!
And....you brought to mind another question. I wonder if you'd know the answer to~speaking of dash cam sd cards:
Is there a way to recapture a segment that my dash cam recorded over? I saved the card just in case there's a chance. Priceless info, I wish I could get back, I hoped... but I'm sure would probably take an expert to get it, huh?
A lot of decent dash cams will save off video in a special place if it detects an "event" happened, which usually means something like a sudden jolt or whatever. If the dash cam is too basic for that, then once it starts writing over the oldest footage, it's gone. You'll just have to manually pull the videos every so often.

Thank you. I kind of like the wired cameras more than the wireless kind. Seems safer to me, but what do I know? but I do like it that I can get it to my phone as well, if needed. I'll contact them again if necessary though...
I'm not talking about wireless cameras, you misunderstood.
I'm talking about how you interact with the recorder. I suggested downloading the compatible app on your phone or AppleTV/ROKU (or computer or whatever) and using it to view the cameras Live, or Recorded.

Your cameras are Analog, which are ancient in today's world of technology. You can use the same COAX wire to install a Network Wired camera, with an added gizmo that uses the COAX to pass ethernet with power. In that case the only drawback would be the expense of the new cameras/gizmos, and the space required for the new equipment (if the cameras are larger and impeding with an awning or sconce or something.)

unice2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I'm not talking about wireless cameras, you misunderstood.
I'm talking about how you interact with the recorder. I suggested downloading the compatible app on your phone or AppleTV/ROKU (or computer or whatever) and using it to view the cameras Live, or Recorded.

Your cameras are Analog, which are ancient in today's world of technology. You can use the same COAX wire to install a Network Wired camera, with an added gizmo that uses the COAX to pass ethernet with power. In that case the only drawback would be the expense of the new cameras/gizmos, and the space required for the new equipment (if the cameras are larger and impeding with an awning or sconce or something.)
So interesting! Sending thanks for your opinion and knowledge. Sorry I misunderstood. Like I said, it seems to me that the upgraded technology in cameras and just everything, is less safe, hackable and susceptible to outside interference. I don't know that much about it, of course, but to me it seems analog would be more secure? Maybe I'm wrong, but I guess it's too old school? I am on a tight budget and just want to be able to use the system I have, that was never used, still in the box.
I'm very interested in the part you said about ROKU. I guess I need to study that to understand if my Roku could help if I stay with my analog camera system.

I think I remember that when I talked to the help desk, the COAX option was another way he said we could do it. But I didn't know what that meant or if I had the right connection on my TV, so I guess that's why he advised going from BNC to MIDI. SO! Now I'm wondering if everyone's saying that MIDI is not going to work? or not the best choice? or maybe it's just because the adapter/converter I bought won't work without a gender bender.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

unice2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Probably not. :p

A lot of decent dash cams will save off video in a special place if it detects an "event" happened, which usually means something like a sudden jolt or whatever. If the dash cam is too basic for that, then once it starts writing over the oldest footage, it's gone. You'll just have to manually pull the videos every so often.
Yes, I was afraid of that... too bad... It was my Dad, who passed, sigh... would've been a great keepsake recording.
The DVR output looks like it's limited to SD video resolution, which likely means it's either NTSC or PAL composite video. So you need a BNC to RCA converter.

shoulda popped in another SD card... ;( I'll shop for BNC to RCA converter. Thank you!