Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013
!Tech Specs!

Sapphire tri x 290
AMD Fx8350 w/ H80GTi Corsair closed loop watercooler
Corsair xms3 2x4 gb 1600mhz
Gigabyte 990fxa ud3
Rosewill Photon 650/800(I don't remember) watt 80 plus psu

I'm looking for a way to boost the performance of my 5+ year old pc using software, changing windows setting, or even bios settings/OCing.
Im not really sure where to start and being in-between jobs right now I cant afford to spend my fallback money on PC Parts, like I could find
a new GPU right now anyways 😂 I don't care about power usage or fan speeds, I'm just looking for pure performance boosts. Even if its minor
anything extra right now would do me great. I mainly play Escape From Tarkov and my Radeon program says I average about 55.7 FPS.
The game does get really choppy when I encounter other players and sometime my frames drop down even to a stop sometimes then will start running
decently again. I game at 1080p on an Acer S230HL LCD 23" 5ms monitor. Anything will be appreciated I wont overlook any suggestion,
I built this computer using suggestions from this community when I was about 16 yrs old, I'm 23 now and I still trust you guys to not lead me astray.​

Thanks for looking,

Corey S.

Solution
Definitely your CPU holding you back, and I highly doubt any amount of overclocking would help. Even a 1st gen ryzen would run circles around that FX, even with an overclock. If money is super tight, maybe see if you can find a 4th gen i7, E3 1230v3, or better and board, on the used market, for a decent price. You could at least then reuse your ram. Otherwise I would recommend something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.01 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($112.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $376.99...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Overclocking the CPU will help a tiny bit, probably not noticeable to you though.

FX8350 is just not an up to date processor for very recent games. Your GPU is doing an okay job which is why you are seeing high average frame rates, but your CPU is responsible for your minimum frame rates.

GPUs are expensive now, but that doesn't mean you can't replace the CPU/Motherboard/Ram. They will make a big difference to the smoothness of games.

logainofhades

Titan
Definitely your CPU holding you back, and I highly doubt any amount of overclocking would help. Even a 1st gen ryzen would run circles around that FX, even with an overclock. If money is super tight, maybe see if you can find a 4th gen i7, E3 1230v3, or better and board, on the used market, for a decent price. You could at least then reuse your ram. Otherwise I would recommend something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.01 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($112.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $376.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-27 17:07 EDT-0400

Solution