Question Boot failure when new M.2 SSD is installed ?

Apr 13, 2023
Hey there, i‘ve been having an odd issue. I was trying to replace the 256gb ssd on my Zenbook 14 (UM431DA) with a 1tb ssd that I had lying around. The old one is a sk hynix HFM256GDJTNG, and the new one is a SanDisk SDSSDH3N-1T00. It seems as though they would be compatible because both (according to my research, at least) are M-Key M.2 2280 boards with PCIe Gen 3.0 x4.

Here‘s the problem, whenever the bigger one is in my system at all, it fails to boot. That is, I get the ASUS logo and nothing happens. I cant enter the bios either, the only way to get into the bios seems to be removing the 1tb ssd and resetting.

Things i‘ve tried are:
  • Updating bios
  • Clearing cmos
  • Recreating partition table (to both gpt/mbr)
  • Nulling out the entire drive
  • Copying the data from the old ssd (using dd)

But nothing works. The ssd works fine in my desktop pc. It seems to me like the bios itself crashes when trying to load the drive. My laptop only has one ssd slot which takes boot priority over installation media, and changes to the boot order are lost whenever I swap the ssds.

I‘m wondering if there is maybe some other measure of compatibility that I‘m missing.

Apr 13, 2023
Hey there, i‘ve been having an odd issue. I was trying to replace the 256gb ssd on my Zenbook 14 (UM431DA) with a 1tb ssd that I had lying around. The old one is a sk hynix HFM256GDJTNG, and the new one is a SanDisk SDSSDH3N-1T00. It seems as though they would be compatible because both (according to my research, at least) are M-Key M.2 2280 boards with PCIe Gen 3.0 x4.

Here‘s the problem, whenever the bigger one is in my system at all, it fails to boot. That is, I get the ASUS logo and nothing happens. I cant enter the bios either, the only way to get into the bios seems to be removing the 1tb ssd and resetting.

Things i‘ve tried are:
  • Updating bios
  • Clearing cmos
  • Recreating partition table (to both gpt/mbr)
  • Nulling out the entire drive
  • Copying the data from the old ssd (using dd)

But nothing works. The ssd works fine in my desktop pc. It seems to me like the bios itself crashes when trying to load the drive. My laptop only has one ssd slot which takes boot priority over installation media, and changes to the boot order are lost whenever I swap the ssds.

I‘m wondering if there is maybe some other measure of compatibility that I‘m missing.

Apr 13, 2023
No, i am not able to get into the bios whenever the drive is in my system. I have wiped the drive to multiple extents and nothing has helped.