Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2020
Hi
I was trying to install windows 10 pro on my 240gb ssd. I have one 1Tb wd hdd and one 240gb Wd ssd. Both are not showing in Boot order but are getting detected as in Information tab it shows drives name and serial numbers.
I installed using Rufus through bootable usb stick. The configuration used was gpt partition uefi(non csm) and usb formatted in fat32. Secure boot is disabled.
In Boot priority order :
  1. Windows boot manager(My hdd's number.. I don't know why bcoz I installed windows on my ssd)
  2. Usb drive.
I am using Acer swift 3 Sf315-51g
Bios utility is InsydeH20 Setup Facility 5.0
Bios version is 1.05

Last edited:
Solution
I would remove the hdd from PC, swap the SATA mode to AHCI if it lets you, and install win 10 with only ssd in PC.
Right now you are booting off the hdd and not getting full benefit of the ssd.
Once it runs fine off the ssd, I would put the hdd back in.

The Windows Boot Manager thing is fine, it should just have the ssd in there instead.
Jun 30, 2020
Only have 1 drive attached when installing or win 10 might put some of its files on hdd and some on the ssd.
Change the hdd from RAID to AHCI (see 1st photo) - that could be the reason right there.
How do I remove one drive?( By manually removing it?.. I don't have the tools available any other way to do it)
Also Sata mode Raid has been greyed out.. I cant change it to AHCI

Colif

Win 11 Master
What was on the hdd? was windows ever on it?
Were you adding an ssd to the system or just reinstalling windows?
Windows boot manager(My hdd's number.. I don't know why bcoz I installed windows on my ssd)

windows boot manager is normal for a UEFI system as it includes the boot location of the drive it boots off. It seems it is still using the boot partition on the hdd

RAID isn't normal though and i wonder what disk management looks like.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you replace a smaller ssd with the current one?
I was going to guess this was a system setup to use a smaller ssd as a cache drive and the 1tb as where windows was actually installed, as that used to be common in laptops but your laptop is only 3 years old and ssd been big enough to do it all themselves for ages now. They used to put small 32gb ssd in PC as the boot partitions. To make hdd seem faster. It would have both drives as raid and use Intel Rapid Storage Technology to make PC think it was 1 drive

Jun 30, 2020

windows boot manager is normal for a UEFI system as it includes the boot location of the drive it boots off. It seems it is still using the boot partition on the hdd

Yes in the past windows was installed on hdd but then I bought ssd and windows was on that .. so it is not the first time windows was getting installed on ssd.
So what do you want me to do.. I can access command prompt if u need anything from there I am posting shot using diskpart utility.. let me know if you need anything else
View: https://imgur.com/a/2tt4dUY

Jun 30, 2020

In the previous build I had a software called Intel rapid software technology (I am sorry if I mispelled it) I don't know why I installed it but it was shown under drivers section of my laptop page on Acer website

Jun 30, 2020
I was going to guess this was a system setup to use a smaller ssd as a cache drive and the 1tb as where windows was actually installed, as that used to be common in laptops but your laptop is only 3 years old and ssd been big enough to do it all themselves for ages now. They used to put small 32gb ssd in PC as the boot partitions. To make hdd seem faster. It would have both drives as raid and use Intel Rapid Storage Technology to make PC think it was 1 drive
I couldn't understand it completely sorry.. but no no drive was added or removed.. they were same as in my previous windows

Jun 30, 2020
What do you want me to do? To make things work ! And thank you so much for replying fast! Really appreciate it bro

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would remove the hdd from PC, swap the SATA mode to AHCI if it lets you, and install win 10 with only ssd in PC.

The Windows Boot Manager thing is fine, it should just have the ssd in there instead.

Solution
Jun 30, 2020

Is there any chance this would get my hdd wiped(I don't care about ssd)
Some other person told me to do this!

What i am thinking of doing is

Do backup by installing elemetory os(Linux) of hdd

Then delete all partitions

Then make only one partition 'ssd'

Install windows there

And if it successfully boots,

Then make a partition from hdd from windows itself.

Is this safe? And will it work.?

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you right click start
choose disk management
expand the window so you can see all the drives/columns
Show me a screen shot

then I can tell you what might happen.
right now, all I think its doing is booting off hdd and windows is completely on the ssd.

So removing hdd won't lose any data if that is case. All it does is stops windows using the boot partition on the hdd for the location the ssd uses.

Reactions: Dilshans2k
Jun 30, 2020
can you right click start
choose disk management
expand the window so you can see all the drives/columns
Show me a screen shot

then I can tell you what might happen.
right now, all I think its doing is booting off hdd and windows is completely on the ssd.

So removing hdd won't lose any data if that is case. All it does is stops windows using the boot partition on the hdd for the location the ssd uses.

Ok so I am going to to get hdd removed

And then it will be simple na to just install on that

So it will be

Pop out hdd

Install windows on ssd

When completely installed

Up and running(hope so)

Shut down

Then put in hdd

And reboot

So this will work na

Status