Nuke

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
Am trying to make a bootable cd of my C: and I have run into a couple snags. First off I have a plextor writer and am using the easy cd creator software. I am also using drive image pro to get my c: image. My question is what do I do when my c: image is too big to fit on a cd? I did a maximum compression and split into 630 meg chunks. It made 2 seperate files a .pqi file and .002 file. The smaller file is about 200 megs. Am not really sure what am suppose to do here. Do I burn the larger .pqi on 1 cd then do the smaller .002 on another or can I keep the .002 on my hdd?
Also when trying to clean off my c: to get it to fit to 1 cd I noticed a hidden dir in my root c: that is about 300 megs.
Its called _RESTORE. Does anyone have any idea what this dir is for? Can I delete it? Do I need to include it on my boot cd? Btw am running windows ME.

Also I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I wasnt sure whether to post it hard drive forum or the cd forum.

Any feedback would help. Thanks in advance

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
What kind of stuff do you have in that hidden 350 MB directory (what extension you can see after making from Options, View, Show all files, Display the full path)?

Joseph_Bolo

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2001
OK, I went through the same exact thing.

1.) Create split images - that you did correct.

2.) In Easy Creator, select NEW DISK>BOOTABLE CD - the program will prompt for your startup disk and it wil place system files in the CD layout (the bottom half of the screen).

3.) Add your first image file only to the CD layout.

4.) Add a copy of DI for convenience, or you can use the DI startup disk when its time to convert your image to your hard drive.

5.) Burn that setup to Disk1. (Make sure everything is under 650MB)

6,) Start again (insert new blank disc). Select NEW DISK>DATA CD this time.

7.) Add only the second image file and burn it to Disk 2.

Your done. To restore from CD your BIOS requires bootable CD capability, if not just use your WINME startup disk with CD-ROM support enabled.

Load DI and follow "Restore Image to Hard disk or Partition" options.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

WINME RESTORE is a great feature to bring your whole system back in time to when it was running perfectly, without affecting your files, favorites, e-mail, etc. It's a good idea to leave that in your image, but if you do not want it can be turned off (check WIN help file), it can't be deleted, as far as I Know.

This may not be 100% step-by-step, but figure it out for your system. This a very important skill for computer life. You have a system that probably took weeks or months to setup your OS and drivers, and to build up your software, not to mention the numerous adjusts and settings.

Good Luck - e-mail me if you have any problems.

JB

Nuke

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
Thanks for the help. I wasnt sure if I needed to use two disks or not but this clears it all up :)

Thanks.

G

The _RESTORE directory holds copies of your previous system configurations. For use with the ME's restore feature.

Leo