Question Bottleneck or what wrong with this build?

Feb 21, 2024
Need more thoughts on this case please!

SPEC
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22000) (22000.co_release.210604-1628)
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz (12 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
MEM: 24576MB RAM DDR3 ECC
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 GIGABYTE AORUS
PSU: EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K1
MB: ASUS P6T WS PRO

ISSUE
My GPU and CPU in CS2 match work load is about 30%-50% all the time, my fps as you can see is about ~100 with this spec.
What im missing in this situation is this CPU with this OC bottlenecks the GPU so hard? Or something else i missing here?

***Sorry for my bad english and mistakes first post in this forum, if you can help please write your thoughts about this situation.
I can give more information if needed.

PC spec and other information in the photos link

PHOTOS
MORE PHOTOS FROM THE GAME

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz (12 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...66-ghz-6-40-gts-intel-qpi/specifications.html
That CPU's architecture is 14years old at this point.

PSU: EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K1
How old is the PSU in your build and what did it power prior to the RTX3070?
thanks for warm welcome and fast respond. yes i know that cpu is very old but i thought with this oc it can do something seems no? psu is new like 10-11 months old. before this gpu i got gtx 1070, PSU was the same one.
I ADDED MORE PHOTOS FROM THE GAME

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Like the only time I will call this a real bottleneck. That is a wildly mismatched pairing. Even the 1070 was too much.

No overclock is going to overcome that long a gap.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/1304vs4687/Intel-Xeon-X5650-vs-Intel-i3-12100

And yes, that PSU is way underdesigned to be running a 3070. You are lucky because the GPU is never reaching full usage in that system so is probably quite efficient.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I should add that for gaming, single core performance is still way more important than multi-core performance.

New PSU, CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and probably storage at this point too. Basically build around your GPU, which is a fine unit.

Feb 21, 2024
Like the only time I will call this a real bottleneck. That is a wildly mismatched pairing. Even the 1070 was too much.

No overclock is going to overcome that long a gap.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/1304vs4687/Intel-Xeon-X5650-vs-Intel-i3-12100

And yes, that PSU is way underdesigned to be running a 3070. You are lucky because the GPU is never reaching full usage in that system so is probably quite efficient.
but why both of them acting so strange? why cpu not going like 100% on all cores it has so much room for it.

but in here, comparison is with default xeon x5650 mine core clock speed way bigger then here.

why you say underdesigned? its enough room of W for gpu in this system as far as i know...

thanks for your answer!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Game engines really can't be designed to use 100% of a CPU. Firstly you have the OS and all its functions to consider. Typically a game engine will have a main thread. This thread is sort of like a director in that it can spawn other threads on other CPU cores, but eventually all that processed information needs to be managed and directed.

Your maximum FPS will be determined by that thread running at 100% on a single CPU core. You can look at your CPUs as logical cores rather than a whole and you are going to see one CPU core maxed out.

The GPU can only do what it is directed to do by the CPU. If the CPU can't give directions to the GPU it will go idle until the next task appears.

600W is the proscribed minimum for an RTX3070. Wattage is not the only factor when considering a PSU. You have an 80+ unit, which is the bare minimum standard for efficiency. This means that it will produce waste heat at around twice the rate of something like an 80+ Gold rated unit, which is more like 90% efficient.

RTX 30 series and 40 series are well known for being able to draw almost double their rated TDP/TGP for brief periods. This can trigger a PSU shutdown or worse. This hasn't been happening to you likely because the GPU can't use all of its performance consistently. A faster CPU would allow for this and likely start causing issues with system stability. Newer CPUs are also very variable with load. So if you do upgrade to any of the higher end CPUs, you risk overloading the PSU.

Something like an i5-13500 might be okay, but I would still seek out a better PSU for running a 3070.

Feb 21, 2024
thanks for you answer Eximo
Game engines really can't be designed to use 100% of a CPU. Firstly you have the OS and all its functions to consider. Typically a game engine will have a main thread. This thread is sort of like a director in that it can spawn other threads on other CPU cores, but eventually all that processed information needs to be managed and directed.

Your maximum FPS will be determined by that thread running at 100% on a single CPU core. You can look at your CPUs as logical cores rather than a whole and you are going to see one CPU core maxed out.

The GPU can only do what it is directed to do by the CPU. If the CPU can't give directions to the GPU it will go idle until the next task appears.

600W is the proscribed minimum for an RTX3070. Wattage is not the only factor when considering a PSU. You have an 80+ unit, which is the bare minimum standard for efficiency. This means that it will produce waste heat at around twice the rate of something like an 80+ Gold rated unit, which is more like 90% efficient.

RTX 30 series and 40 series are well known for being able to draw almost double their rated TDP/TGP for brief periods. This can trigger a PSU shutdown or worse. This hasn't been happening to you likely because the GPU can't use all of its performance consistently. A faster CPU would allow for this and likely start causing issues with system stability. Newer CPUs are also very variable with load. So if you do upgrade to any of the higher end CPUs, you risk overloading the PSU.

Something like an i5-13500 might be okay, but I would still seek out a better PSU for running a 3070.
much thanks for you answer Eximo!

i added more photos from the game first thread reaching like 70%+ not even close to 100%. but i understand your thoughts on this.

yeah not good news for me i just using this pc for 11months now and you said i need new pc except gpu basically :D i thought with this build cs2 would work really well but...

im thinking about ryzen in the future when my patients come to the end...

thanks again