Mar 6, 2020
Just want to know if gt 1030 bottleneck with my Pentium 2.6GHz J2900 and what game can i run. Thank you ( I want to know if i can play Fortnite, GTAV, CS:GO and Mincraft )

Solution
I've always thought it would be sweet if a review site would cover stuff like this.

If anything, a GT1030/GTX1050/RX550 is the proper type of card to pair with a CPU like that. I wouldn't go much further.

As far as, "what games can I play", is hard to say. It's a 4 [wimpy]-core CPU (not all cores are equal), made in 2013, and only running at ~2.5GHz. Fortnite might be too much to ask, unless it's the lowest settings. Minecraft, LoL, Dota2, or CS:GO should be....decent though. Those games can run on a potato.

Realistically though, if money is a major factor for you, don't waste your money with this. Save up for a proper CPU and a better GPU to go with it. These low-end GPUs represent a HORRIBLE price/performance point. If it's a...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the motherboard you want to drop the GPU on? In retrospect, you should be pairing that GPU with that board/CPU/SOC. From what my crude Google Image search shows me, you're also going to lack a physical PCIe x 16 on any board.

I'm not sure you are going to have a whole lot of luck with any newer games really. Your CPU is pretty underpowered. With a GT 1030 Minecraft at lower resolutions will still be pretty slow, and MAYBE CS:GO will play (but don't expect to be competitive). GTA:V and Fortnite are pretty much a solid no go.

You've got performance equal to a middle of the line Core 2 Duo, but spread out over 4 cores, which means that games that can only use 1-2 cores are going to run horribly.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste the money on a GT 1030. Work on getting a better system first. That old "Pentium" (which is really an Atom) just isn't powerful enough to play anything remotely modern.

I've always thought it would be sweet if a review site would cover stuff like this.

If anything, a GT1030/GTX1050/RX550 is the proper type of card to pair with a CPU like that. I wouldn't go much further.

As far as, "what games can I play", is hard to say. It's a 4 [wimpy]-core CPU (not all cores are equal), made in 2013, and only running at ~2.5GHz. Fortnite might be too much to ask, unless it's the lowest settings. Minecraft, LoL, Dota2, or CS:GO should be....decent though. Those games can run on a potato.

Realistically though, if money is a major factor for you, don't waste your money with this. Save up for a proper CPU and a better GPU to go with it. These low-end GPUs represent a HORRIBLE price/performance point. If it's a fun & cheap experiment, please, share your findings!

Reactions: King_V
Solution