Oct 24, 2019
I am planning on buying a new desktop soon and I had all my parts until I thought that the motherboard was quite cheap and might bottleneck my CPU and GPU and RAM so I was wondering if anyone could help pick a new motherboard if bottlenecking would occur. Thank you.
Amazon: CPU https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i5-9..._1_3?keywords=i5+9600kf&qid=1571478494&sr=8-3
Amazon: GPU https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-G...+2060+SUPER+gaming+OC+-&qid=1571484688&sr=8-4
RAM: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EI5ZRQY/ref=twister_B07DPFYVK8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Sorry motherboard: amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-H...A-H310M+S2H&qid=1571484948&s=computers&sr=1-1

Last edited:
Solution
A 9600KF is a very good processor and is entirely appropriate to run with a RTC2060 class card.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
I think you are spot on from a cpu/gpu balance point of view.
A H310 motherboard will run the 9600KF at stock speeds. It will have the most current bios available at time of manufacture.
If you get new stock, I would not worry.

But, with such a nice cpu/gpu combo, I highly recommend using a Z390 based motherboard.
That will unlock the overclocking potential of your processor, enabling...
I think you're getting a little mixed up. A motherboard will not really bottleneck a system, at least not how you think. Also, you haven't listed your mobo, so we can't advise on that one way or other.

The term bottleneck, in gaming terms, mostly means that your CPU is too weak to provide your GPU with data fast enough to get the best out of the GPU.

You don't have that problem with your CPU/GPU.

Also, choosing the mobo last is not the best way to go. By starting with your mobo as first purchase (based on knowing what CPU you want) it's better to choose ram from the QVL for the mobo, so you can ensure compatibility. You are doing it the other way around. Now trying to match a mobo to your ram.

Reactions: _SJ_
Oct 24, 2019
I think you're getting a little mixed up. A motherboard will not really bottleneck a system, at least not how you think. Also, you haven't listed your mobo, so we can't advise on that one way or other.

The term bottleneck, in gaming terms, mostly means that your CPU is too weak to provide your GPU with data fast enough to get the best out of the GPU.

You don't have that problem with your CPU/GPU.

Also, choosing the mobo last is not the best way to go. By starting with your mobo as first purchase (based on knowing what CPU you want) it's better to choose ram from the QVL for the mobo, so you can ensure compatibility. You are doing it the other way around. Now trying to match a mobo to your ram.
Thank you a lot I'll start with the motherboard now

You'll want a Z390 motherboard to make use of the overclocking potential on the CPU you chose, and to be able to run your RAM at >2666MHz. Also, an H310 mobo may not have the BIOS support for a 9th gen CPU since only B365 and Z390 boards had day 1 support for 9th gen. Older chipsets (H310, B350, H370, Z370) will support 9th gen CPUs, but since they were released a year earlier with 8th gen, they need a newer BIOS. Sometimes (depending on the manufacture date of the board you get, aka how long it's been sitting on the shelf) you'll get those older boards with the 9th gen BIOS pre-installed, but it's not necessarily a guarantee. If not, you'll need a friend or store with an 8th gen CPU they'll lend you for 20 minutes while you do the BIOS update.

So yes, while I hate the term "bottlenecking", the H310 mobo you chose wouldn't allow your 3200MHz RAM to run at anything above 2666MHz. The 9600KF will still operate normally on non-Z motherboards, but you won't be able to overclock.

Last edited:
Reactions: _SJ_
Oct 24, 2019
You'll want a Z390 motherboard to make use of the overclocking potential on the CPU you chose, and to be able to run your RAM at >2666MHz. Also, an H310 mobo may not have the BIOS support for a 9th gen CPU since only B365 and Z390 boards had day 1 support for 9th gen. Older chipsets (H310, B350, H370, Z370) will support 9th gen CPUs, but since they were released a year earlier with 8th gen, they need a newer BIOS. Sometimes (depending on the manufacture date of the board you get, aka how long it's been sitting on the shelf) you'll get those older boards with the 9th gen BIOS pre-installed, but it's not necessarily a guarantee. If not, you'll need a friend or store with an 8th gen CPU they'll lend you for 20 minutes while you do the BIOS update.

So yes, while I hate the term "bottlenecking", the H310 mobo you chose wouldn't allow your 3200MHz RAM to run at anything above 2666MHz. The 9600KF will still operate normally on non-Z motherboards, but you won't be able to overclock.
Would a Z390-A pro let me run RAM at 3200mhz and overclock everything? I think it would but I don't want to mess up.

A 9600KF is a very good processor and is entirely appropriate to run with a RTC2060 class card.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
I think you are spot on from a cpu/gpu balance point of view.
A H310 motherboard will run the 9600KF at stock speeds. It will have the most current bios available at time of manufacture.
If you get new stock, I would not worry.

But, with such a nice cpu/gpu combo, I highly recommend using a Z390 based motherboard.
That will unlock the overclocking potential of your processor, enabling perhaps 30% more performance if you have a good cooler.
The Intel performance maximizer app will safely oc your setup to the max potential.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html

Intel ram controllers are so good that they do not depend on fast ram for performance.
3200 speed is fine , probably no more than 3600.

Solution