Question Bought some parts to build a PC, system boots up but bios doesn't load

argyris006

Commendable
Jan 10, 2018
Hello everyone,
As the title says I had a computer for more than 13 years and it had various problems, so I decided to just build a new one with the limited budget I had. here are the specs:
CPU INTEL CORE I3-9100F
VGA ASROCK RX570 8GB
PATRIOT SIGNATURE LINE PREMIUM 1x8GB 2400 MHZ RAM
HDD WD 1TB
ASROCK H310CM-DVS Motherboard
PI07A PIONEER CASE
( A friend of mine gave me his old psu so I didn't buy a new one)
Now the issue is that I hit the turn on button, the lights turn on the fans start to spin, but bios doesnt boot up and I cant progress any further. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Do you know for sure the H310 motherboard has an updated BIOS to support the 9100F? Those boards initially released with 8th 'gen' CPUs, and need a BIOS update.

I'd assume there's a "CPU" led onboard, or failing that, you could attached a motherboard speaker to listen for beep codes (they typically cost very little to buy).

As far as the PSU, that could be the culprit... do you have the specs (made/model) of the PSU?

argyris006

Commendable
Jan 10, 2018
Hello and thanks for the quick response. I've checked online and this particural mobo supports the i3-9100f! If the psu is indeed the culprit, doesnt that mean that the pc wouldn't turn on at all? I think the psu is a model EVGA 500w bronze, forgot to mention it is brand new and unused. One more thing, my monitor is quite old so I used an hdmi to vga adapter to be able to connect it to the gpu, I dont think that has any impact, just thought I should mention it as well

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hello and thanks for the quick response. I've checked online and this particural mobo supports the i3-9100f!

Where did you confirm that? Unless the seller specifically stated the BIOS has been updated, it's fairly safe to assume it has not... and therefor, does not.

Support has been there as of BIOS revision P4.10 .... Anything older, and it certainly does not.

If the psu is indeed the culprit, doesnt that mean that the pc wouldn't turn on at all? I think the psu is a model EVGA 500w bronze, forgot to mention it is brand new and unused.

Not necessarily, no.

One more thing, my monitor is quite old so I used an hdmi to vga adapter to be able to connect it to the gpu, I dont think that has any impact, just thought I should mention it as well

Ah, ok, this may well be the problem. Unless you're using a truly "active" HDMI to VGA adapter, you're not going to get a display.

For the purposes of troubleshooting, can you connect via HDMI (from the GPU) to a TV or something?

argyris006

Commendable
Jan 10, 2018
You're actually correct. The issue is display-related. The computer booted up normally but nothing was sent to the monitor as a display. I have no hdmi cable to test a connection to a tv at the moment but switching to my old gpu which is a 1050ti fixed the issue. Is it possible that the rx 570 I purchased is faulty? One more thing we tried was to connect via teamviewer from another PC to figure out if something is wrong, and the rx 570 doesnt even show up on control panel in devices

argyris006

Commendable
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah same cable, same adapter. And yes, I have connected the 6 pin cable from the PSU to the 570, the fans spin normally, it just cannot be detected by the system for some reason.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The 500W Bronze unit from EVGA really isn't intended for anything remotely power hungry, like a 570.... so it is possible the 570 is fine and it's a PSU issue.... but the only way to know for sure would be to try the 570 on another PSU - not something easily available to most people.

You're actually correct. The issue is display-related. The computer booted up normally but nothing was sent to the monitor as a display. I have no hdmi cable to test a connection to a tv at the moment but switching to my old gpu which is a 1050ti fixed the issue. Is it possible that the rx 570 I purchased is faulty? One more thing we tried was to connect via teamviewer from another PC to figure out if something is wrong, and the rx 570 doesnt even show up on control panel in devices

FYI, the term 'booted up normally' does not mean/is not interchangeable with 'appeared to turn on and a few lights/fans came on'.

Certainly, if it still functions with the old GPU, and gives no display with the new one (assuming it has adequate PSU powering it, etc), the new one could easily be faulty. Alas, as your CPU is an "F" variant, the onboard HDMI/display port from the mainboard will not be functional, so assuming you are correctly connecting to one of the RX570's output connectors....

argyris006

Commendable
Jan 10, 2018
Well yes, I am connecting the cable to one of the rx570's output connectors but here's an important update. I tried plugging the rx570 into a friends pc with the following specs:
i5-8400
msi gtx 1050ti
16gb ddr4 2400mhz
240gb ssd
Gigabyte b360m ds3h
600 watt psu
Of course we swapped out the gpu first, but the result was that the card was detected normally and the system functioned. Then we tried swapping out the psu units (from the 600 watt to the EVGA 500w 80+ bronze that I own) and the system also worked normally. Any ideas? Thank you for your help so far.

argyris006

Commendable
Jan 10, 2018
Further update: We also tried taking out the 600 watt psu from my friends system and using it on the system that I bought but the I still get no display. Could it be a motherboard/gpu compatibility issuem if that makes any sense?