[SOLVED] Brand new HDD keeps disappearing when in use. What would be the problem?

May 24, 2022
Hi!
I got this new HDD (Seagate BarraCuda 3.5 2TB 7200rpm 256MB SATA3 (ST2000DM008)) to upgrade my storage and after I set it up in Windows, formatted etc. it looked fine at first, but after I tried to copy some files to it (nothing big, a couple hundreds of MBs) I noticed that the file copying is really slow, like it'd take 5 to 10 minutes just to copy small files.
It'd freeze and then finally the drive would just disappear from the system until I restart my PC.
Most of the time I have to turn off the PC's power just for a single restart. It freezes that bad.
Also the boot-up is slower than usually with the new HDD connected.

My specs:
OP System: Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 Bit
CPU: i5-4460
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 from MSI (2GB)
RAM: HyperX DDR3 (8GB - single, 3200MHz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
PSU: Seasonic S12II (Bronze) 620W
HDD: Seagate (ST1000DM003-1SB102 ATA Device, 1TB)
The new HDD: Seagate (ST2000DM008-2UB102 ATA Device, 2TB)

Some pictures of the drive:
Computer Management:

View: https://imgur.com/a/RWJSvjU

Device Manager:
View: https://imgur.com/a/B7RXJAk

All my drives:
View: https://imgur.com/a/vnuUDNc

So I tried to look into this and figure out what the problem could be.
The first thing that came to my mind were my Sata data cables, cuz' they're a bit old. I have two data cables, (I don't know how important this is but) they're not identical, one of them is just a normal data cable (orange), the other one is a grey and right angled. My main HDD where the Windows is installed works absolutely fine with both of those cables.
I tried the new HDD with both Sata cables, it still does the same.
Could this be a problem? I mean, my older HDD works fine with the data cables, so the new one should work as well, shouldn't it?

What I've tried so far:
-performed a full format in Computer Management
-tried the HDD with two different Sata data cables and different ports on the motherboard
-ran a CHKDSK in CMD

CHKDSK message:
View: https://imgur.com/a/YoK3gGA

(This also appeared many times when booting up Windows)

I tried to find someone with a similar case and I did find some forum posts. They solved it like removing a jumper from the drive, but I don't have anything like that.

My other idea of what's causing the problem is my system as I'm still using Windows 7.
Do newer HDDs/SSDs need Windows 10 to work properly?

As far as updates and drivers go, my OS & Motherboard have the latest drivers.
But my BIOS hasn't been updated yet. Should I update it as well?

I really need some help with this. I don't know what else to do.
Any idea would be appreciated!

To begin with the easiest first - Are this computer connected to internet? If yes - could you have a malware infection (since W7 obvious isn't safe to use as per today) ?

Are there any other issues to the computer - like unstability, frequet crash, bsod etc?

And - you should get out the S.M.A.R.T. Data from that hdd and share on this forum, so it may be that the harddrive is just defect and it should be shown. I'm not sure what software that still support W7, something like Crystaldiskinfo, hdtune, etc.
If nothing works, you can use a Linux distro (e.g. Linux Mint) and boot it to the live desktop (won't touch any data unless you install or take deliberately action on your own), then go find the "Disks" utility, select storage device and locate hamburger menu and find smart data. Screen copy and then upload the image or copy to a second usb stick (because it''s all stored in RAM and disappear at shutdown/reboot).

Btw : why are you still using W7 ?

To begin with the easiest first - Are this computer connected to internet? If yes - could you have a malware infection (since W7 obvious isn't safe to use as per today) ?

Are there any other issues to the computer - like unstability, frequet crash, bsod etc?

And - you should get out the S.M.A.R.T. Data from that hdd and share on this forum, so it may be that the harddrive is just defect and it should be shown. I'm not sure what software that still support W7, something like Crystaldiskinfo, hdtune, etc.
If nothing works, you can use a Linux distro (e.g. Linux Mint) and boot it to the live desktop (won't touch any data unless you install or take deliberately action on your own), then go find the "Disks" utility, select storage device and locate hamburger menu and find smart data. Screen copy and then upload the image or copy to a second usb stick (because it''s all stored in RAM and disappear at shutdown/reboot).

Since Windows 7 is involved I am wondering if there might be a conflict where some disks are MBR partitions and the new disk is either GPT partitioned or MBR partitioned where it needs to be GPT partitioned. Could an MBR vs. GPT conflict cause this?

May 24, 2022

It is connected to the internet, and the PC should be clean. I ran an anti-virus a week before I got the HDD.
No issues either, the only thing that crashes/restarts sometimes is the Windows Explorer due to some memory issues if I remember correctly when I looked it up.
Other than that, no blue screens nor PC crashes.

CrystalDiskInfo says this tho:
View: https://imgur.com/a/tlKSDmh

I'm using W7 because I've got used to it :,D
I know I should switch to at least W10 and if the HDD is still gonna be an issue, I'll switch to it.

It is connected to the internet, and the PC should be clean. I ran an anti-virus a week before I got the HDD.
No issues either, the only thing that crashes/restarts sometimes is the Windows Explorer due to some memory issues if I remember correctly when I looked it up.
Other than that, no blue screens nor PC crashes.

View: https://imgur.com/a/tlKSDmh

I'm using W7 because I've got used to it :,D
I know I should switch to at least W10 and if the HDD is still gonna be an issue, I'll switch to it.
Thought.

The hdd has problems...as already mentioned.
Switch to w10 and install open shell.
It will make some stuff a little more like w7 and a little easier to navigate around.

Return the drive.
It has operated only for 13 hours and
already has 5528 relocated sectors (hex 1598) and 40 pending sectors (hex 28).
For mechanical drive anything other than 0 in those readings is not acceptable.

Also avoid Seagate Barracuda drives. Those are all SMR - inconsistent and bad write performance.

Solution
May 24, 2022
Thanks for all the feedbacks.
I'm returning the drive and get a new one.
Fortunately, it has nothing on it (as it's new) so I don't have to worry about recovering anything from it.