[SOLVED] Brand new HP Omen 15-en0006na GPU and CPU underperforming

Jun 30, 2021
This is my first ever gaming laptop so I may be missing something obvious, but from the bellow benchmark, my pc is severely underperforming in terms of processor and gpu:

UserBenchmarks: Game 20%, Desk 76%, Work 18%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H - 69.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660-Ti (Mobile) - 12.7%
SSD: Samsung MZVLB512HBJQ-000H1 512GB - 200.2%
RAM: Hynix HMA851S6CJR6N-XN 2x4GB - 138%
MBD: HP OMEN Laptop 15-en0xxx

Only had the machine 2 days, noticed an issue when Halo MCC was running at only 24fps on the lowest settings. At first I thought I thought it was because integrated graphics were being used as the default instead on the Nvida, but upon changing that setting nothing has improved. Can someone help? Why isn’t my laptop performing as well as it should?

Solution
Hey there,

I've a similar specced Omen 15, only my system has an I7 9750h, and 16gbs ram. Same GTX1660ti.

There's most likely a couple of issues. Firstly, is it's very probable that your CPU is throttling. You can check this by running a benchmark like Cinebench R23 and running HWMon/Info along side it. If your CPU gets up to a certain temperature it will throttle back to keep the CPU temps in check.

Do you notice if the fans speed up very loudly whilst you are testing it? Also, userbench is not very good to tell how your system is actually performing. You will get a better account by running game benchmarks, or Superposition for your GPU, and the likes of Cinebench R23/R20/R15 to see how your CPU is performing.

Also, you have 8gbs...
Hey there,

I've a similar specced Omen 15, only my system has an I7 9750h, and 16gbs ram. Same GTX1660ti.

There's most likely a couple of issues. Firstly, is it's very probable that your CPU is throttling. You can check this by running a benchmark like Cinebench R23 and running HWMon/Info along side it. If your CPU gets up to a certain temperature it will throttle back to keep the CPU temps in check.

Do you notice if the fans speed up very loudly whilst you are testing it? Also, userbench is not very good to tell how your system is actually performing. You will get a better account by running game benchmarks, or Superposition for your GPU, and the likes of Cinebench R23/R20/R15 to see how your CPU is performing.

Also, you have 8gbs of ram, and whilst it's dual channel, it's not really enough for a modern gaming system. Get yourself an extra 8gbs in there and be happy by doing so. You won't regret it, believe me. edit: if you already have two DIMM's (2 x 4gb) then you might want to get another 2 x 8gb kit to give you 16gb. Then sell the original DIMMS to offset the cost.

If you have the Gaming Hub installed, you should set it to performance setting to ensure you get full power from your CPU. Downside to this is, you will get hot temps and increased fan speed, but full power.

I set mine on default/balanced in Gaming Hub.

You can also look at a cooler pad, undervolting to help with temps, which will allow your CPU to perform as expected.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 30, 2021
look like it might be overheating
check the temp?
running on battery or plug in?

2 days old and already use up half the ssd space?

Running on battery, me fans are set to auto. as on max it constantly sounds like a jet about to take off

Also the ssd is mainly just full of steam games lol