Question Brand new i7 13700k running hot, is it normal?

lolpc

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hey there

So I recently upgraded my PC with a new mobo, DDR5 memory and an i7 13700k with a Noctua D15 cooler, and a RTX 3070.

I researched the CPU quite a bit before buying it, so I know it has a reputation for running hot, and I researched the 13700k and D15 combo as well. But some of these temps I'm seeing are irking me a bit, I just wanted to assure myself that it's within range.

In idle, it's sitting consistently in the mid 30s range, but when gaming it's always above 80 degrees, and even spikes in the 90s. Last night I played Ready Or Not on the highest settings in DX12 in 3440 x 1440p resolution, and I even saw a core hit 99 degrees for a split second. The games run fine, and I don't notice any throttling problems.

I don't have a lot of experience with tinkering with voltages, so I haven't dared to mess around with them, but I checked to see if the power was unlimited, and it wasn't, it was locked at Intels recommended 253 watts, so I don't know what further things I can do.

Are these temps normal, or safe for this particular CPU?

EDIT: I also reseated the CPU cooler to see if that was the problem, but it didn't change anything.

I would suggest taking back the Noctua D15 cooler and getitng AIO coolor 360 because that will make a difference in temps but with your temps Your CPU can go below 100 temp and run games and such. Or you can try and turn down your CPU speed in BIOS from 5.40 GHz to 5ghz and turn your fans on full speed also did you put paste on correctly and not use to much

it was locked at Intels recommended 253 watts, so I don't know what further things I can do.
It's not recommended, it's the value that is not to be exceeded, it's not the same.

Recommended is to have Pl1 at 125w and pl2 at 253w , at most, and have a TAU of around a minute.

Of course all depending on the amount of cooling you have and your personal preferences.

Spikes to 99 on a single core are completely normal and intel shut off temp is at 130 so there is no danger.

That being said, you can reduce the power by a whole lot and not lose any FPS.
You can even run intel extreme tuning utility and make profiles for various games in the case that lowering power too much does drop performance, in which case you can give those games more power automatically.

Hey there

So I recently upgraded my PC with a new mobo, DDR5 memory and an i7 13700k with a Noctua D15 cooler, and a RTX 3070.

I researched the CPU quite a bit before buying it, so I know it has a reputation for running hot, and I researched the 13700k and D15 combo as well. But some of these temps I'm seeing are irking me a bit, I just wanted to assure myself that it's within range.

In idle, it's sitting consistently in the mid 30s range, but when gaming it's always above 80 degrees, and even spikes in the 90s. Last night I played Ready Or Not on the highest settings in DX12 in 3440 x 1440p resolution, and I even saw a core hit 99 degrees for a split second. The games run fine, and I don't notice any throttling problems.

I don't have a lot of experience with tinkering with voltages, so I haven't dared to mess around with them, but I checked to see if the power was unlimited, and it wasn't, it was locked at Intels recommended 253 watts, so I don't know what further things I can do.

EDIT: I also reseated the CPU cooler to see if that was the problem, but it didn't change anything.
Take the side panel off the case.....test.

Infinix

Reputable
Oct 7, 2019
Hey there

You can try the thermalright cpu bracket as well, heard it reduces temps by 5~15 degrees

Since it appears you are watching the sensor data with a tool watch for thermal throttle. Intel claims the machine can be running at the thermal throttle limit indefinitely with no damage. It does affect the performance though.

If you never hit the thermal throttle or it only happens occasionally you temperatures are fine.

Are you sure your fans are running at 100% when you are seeing temperatures you think are higher than you like. Could be you have the fan curves set to prefer lower noise and the fans to not ramp up until it gets say above 90.

The big problem is there is no fixed number. If you read cooler test data they always talk about the difference between ambient temperature and the readings they list. There are still many people that live in very hot areas and run their computer in a house without air conditioning. The temperature you see will be much different if you are starting out at 40C compared to say 25C.

In the end as long as you are not sitting on the thermal limits and the fans are not too noisy you are likely good.

lolpc

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
It's not recommended, it's the value that is not to be exceeded, it's not the same.

Recommended is to have Pl1 at 125w and pl2 at 253w , at most, and have a TAU of around a minute.

Of course all depending on the amount of cooling you have and your personal preferences.

Spikes to 99 on a single core are completely normal and intel shut off temp is at 130 so there is no danger.

That being said, you can reduce the power by a whole lot and not lose any FPS.
You can even run intel extreme tuning utility and make profiles for various games in the case that lowering power too much does drop performance, in which case you can give those games more power automatically.
Thanks for the response. I might try and mess around with the power options, I'm a noob at it though, so I don't wanna mess it up.

lolpc

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Since it appears you are watching the sensor data with a tool watch for thermal throttle. Intel claims the machine can be running at the thermal throttle limit indefinitely with no damage. It does affect the performance though.

If you never hit the thermal throttle or it only happens occasionally you temperatures are fine.

Are you sure your fans are running at 100% when you are seeing temperatures you think are higher than you like. Could be you have the fan curves set to prefer lower noise and the fans to not ramp up until it gets say above 90.

The big problem is there is no fixed number. If you read cooler test data they always talk about the difference between ambient temperature and the readings they list. There are still many people that live in very hot areas and run their computer in a house without air conditioning. The temperature you see will be much different if you are starting out at 40C compared to say 25C.

In the end as long as you are not sitting on the thermal limits and the fans are not too noisy you are likely good.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, it only happens for brief moments, otherwise the temps sit in the high 80s. The fans are set to 100% in BIOS when temps are high.

I'm just not used to CPUs running this hot, the more I've read about the 13700k, the more it seems to be completely normal. I upgraded from an ancient i7 4770k, where high 70s were considered high temps :sweatsmile:

lolpc

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I would suggest taking back the Noctua D15 cooler and getitng AIO coolor 360 because that will make a difference in temps but with your temps Your CPU can go below 100 temp and run games and such. Or you can try and turn down your CPU speed in BIOS from 5.40 GHz to 5ghz and turn your fans on full speed also did you put paste on correctly and not use to much
Thanks for the response. I was honestly hoping to avoid an AIO this time around, I've had AIOs before (Specifically Corsair AIOs), and I had nothing but trouble with them, so I wanted to go with an air cooler with fewer risks of failure this time around.

The key thing is going to be if you leave the power setting at intel default I doubt the cpu will even come close to the 100c thermal limit even running cinnebench with your cooler. Even the factory coolers used on the non "K" models can most times keep them fine.

Now if you set the pl1/pl2 to 4096..ie unlimited just like 13900k the cpu will keep raising its clocks until it thermal throttles even on most very large AIO.

You many times can even get away with setting the pl1/pl2 numbers both to 253 and many air coolers will still keep it just below 100c. It will get very close and likely spikes to 100c for very short times running something like cinnebench. This is a very common setting people use when running gaming since it is not a all core load so it does not thermal throttle but you get much higher sustained clock rates.

Then again most games are not cpu bound so it all doesn't really matter