Brand new I7 not working with my rig .

dstarastins

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
Hello everyone !

thought I'll post this riddle as I can't figure out what's not compatible .

had this PC for many years so did decide to upgrade bits instead of getting a new build as I still like the form and like some components.
Problems started when I got a used I7 4790K of ebay and put it in the build . It started freezing up and looping the sound and I had to do a hard power off to restart it . can happen whilst watching youtube or doing small tasks but mainly happened when playing games and editing videos . I took the pc to nearest shop but they couldn't figure out the problem ( not the first time ) so I replaced many bits took out the I7 and put the I3 back in . runs without any issues . then I RMU'd the I7 thinking it's surely the problem . just got a warranty replacement from intel . still the same problem .
have tried with 2 different RAM's although both used so still might be the ones giving grief however - why do they then work flawlessly with I3 ? contacted EVGA regarding the CPU compatibility and they said that I7 is perfectly compatible and actually the I3 shouldn't be .
changed GPU , changed storage , still problematic.
would be forever grateful if someone pointed me in the right direction .

Here's the complete build -

1. Core i3 4130 3.4Ghz (4th generation) Haswell

2. EVGA z87 Stinger mITX-

3. Zalman Reserator 3 MAX

4. Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133 Mhz ram (SOLD)

5. Silverstone SFX 450W '80 PLUS GOLD'

6. Sandisk Pulse 128Gb SSD

7. Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB (SOLD)

8. Fractal design Node 304 case

9. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB- 7200rpm, 64 Mb Cache (REPLACED)

new bits -

Intel I7 4790k

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 Memory RAM 1600MHz

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GB

Seagate 2TB SATA 3 Momentus XT Hybrid SSHD