Feb 26, 2019
So I just recently updated windows due to the "Update & Shutdown" yesterday(02/26/19). I wasn't there while my PC is in the process of updating so I came back and it was already turned off. I also got into thinking how did my PC requested an update if it wasn't connected to the internet in the first place. So when I try to open the PC again later on, windows logo appeared and after that, this is where the BSOD started. The stop code says CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. When the bsod goes 100% complete, it goes on "Prepare Automatic Repair". After that it just goes on "Your PC did not start correctly" with 2 options of "Restart" and "Advanced options". I tried going on advanced options and opened Command Prompt. From "X:\windows\system32" directory, I tried to run a "sfc /scannow" command. Resulted output is:

"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

Also tried "chkdsk /r" and resulted:

"The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

I gave up the cmd option and tried "System Restore" option and later found out that I have no restore points created on my computer's system drive so that didn't work either.

The options I'm seeing online is when users can still access their OS so I think I can only do stuff in cmd. Any thoughts or advice about this problem??

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
I'm really sorry about the bump posts yesterday . I'm guessing that could be the reason why is my thread getting ignored. I was hasty and didn't read the sticky posts. Also any luck for my problem? Also the chkdsk /r part, I was actually using it on X:. I tried to use it on drive D:, which when I do dir command, has the Program files, Program files (86x), etc. on it. It took a while then after that I go with sfc command. Still no luck and says could not perform requested operation. Restarted, then still goes on the same blue screen error :(