Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016
I just started having that problem last night, but my MSI laptop keeps having this BSOD. I recall it first happening when I plugged in my charger, and it seemed to immediately BSOD. I let it restart, thinking nothing of it, but then it will boot, let me open some files and such a minute or two, and then it BSODs again. It doesn't appear to do it when not on the charger, but I don't want to rule that out immediately. I looked up a fix for it and tried doing a disk check, only to have it get stuck at 21% @ test 1 of 2 for about 2 hours, so I restarted it again and tried a second fix that seemed to work for the issue when the charger is plugged in. The fix was to manually set the virtual memory size => 1. Initial size (MB): 24576 & Maximum size (MB): 49152. I did this and restarted my laptop, leaving it on the charger. When it booted and put me back on the desktop, I let it sit for a few minutes, opened up the software I had been using before, opened up Chrome, and let it sit for another 10-15 minutes. No BSOD. So I thought "Nice! It's working now!" and went to bed. Lo and behold, this afternoon, I go to try and work on a lab report with the software from earlier, and some time later (less than an hour), I BSOD again! I tried reaching out to MSI Support, but they don't do calls on weekends (which seems stupid in my opinion) so I thought I'd reach out in other places.

Another thing to mention is that for the most recent Windows update, the one where it told me "Hey we have to do this update because you need to stay compatible", I kept delaying it and delaying, and decided, one day while I was working on my college campus, to do it since I had like 3 hours. It took an extremely long time and did not finish before I had to leave, so I closed my laptop and drove home, where it finished the update. I think it's possible that this might have something to do with the issue I'm having.

Currently, my laptop sits at the Advanced Startup Options screen.

Specs: i7-8750H (clocks are untouched), 8GB DDR4 (OEM, untounched), 1TB HDD, Win10, GTX1050.

Lutfij

Titan
So which version of Windows 10 were you currently on? Can you get into BIOS and look at the BIOS version as well as your boot device(s)? I would also ask you to leave changing settings for virtual memory alone(in case you have to reinstall your OS).

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016
So which version of Windows 10 were you currently on? Can you get into BIOS and look at the BIOS version as well as your boot device(s)? I would also ask you to leave changing settings for virtual memory alone(in case you have to reinstall your OS).
I'm honestly not sure about any of that. Am I able to reach that from the Advanced Startup Options screen?

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016
So, I booted into Safemode + CMD, and I'm not sure how to interpret the BIOS version, but the CMD returned "MSI_NB - 1072009", "E16R1IMS.106", "American Megatrends - 5000D".
Win Version: v1903 (Build 18362.418)
Boot Dev. Model #: ST1000LM049-2GH172 -- Seagate BarraCuda 1TB