Question BSOD on EVGA 3080 XC3 Gaming

Oct 13, 2020
Hi,

I've received my card last Friday but have been dealing with issues with my EVGA 3080 and I'm thinking of having this card RMA, searched the net for answers but haven't found anything to resolve my issue (although some of them have been of help).

My system BSOD after 5 - 30 mins of gaming, this could be any game but the games I've tested it on are Witcher 3, Squad, Tarkov and COD:Warzone, before the games used to crash until I've updated it to the latest driver.

I have 2 PCIe 8pin cables from my PSU to the GPU (so power can't be an issue).

My specs are...

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite (F11 bios, XMP enabled)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x (stock)
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 mhz
EVGA 3080 XC3 Gaming 10 GB, Geforce 456.71 driver
Corsair 850 RMx Gold
Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Viewsonic 27" 2560x1400 144hz monitor

I've tried underclocking/undervolting the card so it stays fixed at 1800mhz, that however didn't resolve the issue followed this guide (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sClh4270yg0&t=405s
)
I even checked GPUz when running Heaven benchmarks, I am receiving adequate powers from both PCIe cables, the card doesn't go above 80 degrees celcius for the most demanding titles/tests.

I'm running out of ideas.

Any bit of information would be of great help as I'm quite desperate here :(

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Your card like many other add in board partners have less high quality mosfets, which has caused a widespread issue of crashing in games due to optimistic boost algorithms. Try downclocking it even more, and see if that fixes it. Another issue that many have seen on this forum is not enough power, so although 850 sounds like enough, get maybe a 1200w or more. Thats obviously a more pricey solution, so your best bet is to first try downclocking it by 300 megahertz. It's drastic, but it should help show us results.

Oct 13, 2020
Thanks - I'll attempt that test of downclocking it -300mhz, I was downclocking it by -290mhz initally. I can't do the power suppy test unfortunately, 1000w PSU for this graphics card is out of the question - it seems like I've recieved a horrible card that can't sustain even with a 850W PSU.

If all the tests does fail, I'll see if i can do a RMA and get the card when the technology matures a little bit, whether it's AMD or nVidia.

EDIT: reduced the clock speed by 300mhz and I suffer a 18 fps loss on all titles, I'll RMA this card - this is definitely not what I'm paying for :)

Last edited:

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Thanks - I'll attempt that test of downclocking it -300mhz, I was downclocking it by -290mhz initally. I can't do the power suppy test unfortunately, 1000w PSU for this graphics card is out of the question - it seems like I've recieved a horrible card that can't sustain even with a 850W PSU.

If all the tests does fail, I'll see if i can do a RMA and get the card when the technology matures a little bit, whether it's AMD or nVidia.

EDIT: reduced the clock speed by 300mhz and I suffer a 18 fps loss on all titles, I'll RMA this card - this is definitely not what I'm paying for :)

Did the tests work though? Because if they didn't crash, then it's just boost algorithms. Check what your gpu is rated for in terms of clock speeds. If you downclocked it and now its running at those advertised speeds, then its fully functional.

Here's a JayzTwoCents video that explains it in more detail -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bUUEEe-X8&t=1140s

Oct 13, 2020
Unfortunately it did not, someone suggested to disable XMP and to test whether I still get the BSOD - I will run this test later this evening, I've also ran memtest86 to check whether my RAMs were the issue but the tests came out positive without errors.

TheChen

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
You don't have to turn it off, update your MOBO BIOS and it should allow you to use XMP profile with your 3080.
Thanks for the swift reply mate I'd updated my bios etc already mine was set to disabled i've changed it to Profile 1 now it seems .....dare i say it's
fine :D

Last edited: