Question BSOD while idle issues

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2021
Hello, I have been experiencing BSOD's for almost 6 months now. I have taken the PC into geek squad several times, they found nothing wrong with the hardware and ended up reinstalling Windows 10. This seemed to help for several weeks and then the BSOD's started happening again, although not frequently (once every week or two). All my drivers were fully updated, BIOS is updated, I ran Driver Verifier, Memtest, OCCT on all of it's settings and have found no problems with them. I ended up reinstalling Windows 10 myself the other day and now I am experiencing up to 4 BSODs in a single day. I should point out that none of the BSOD's have happened when my PC is doing anything intensive, I've been able to play resource demanding games with no issues. The BSOD's always happen when the PC is left idle or I have just one tab with music playing in my browser. I've decided to just start cycling out my parts and replacing them with new ones to see if it is indeed a Hardware problem, but I'm hoping maybe someone here can find something in the DMP's that may have been missed and help me figure out what is causing this problem. I've uploaded the last few DMP files and Event Log into this zip: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuQfX8syP_a0ghaekfxkWxCsUUac?e=hJI7dY

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 21, 2021
Jan 26, 2021
I just tried Ubuntu Mate using a disk, got the "No irq handler for vector" error. Is there anything else I can try other than Linux, it seems like Linux just refuses to work with my PC.

EDIT: didnt see all those posts, I guess I'll try some of the others. This is getting pretty over-complicated trying to track down a BSOD. :LOL:

Go to ubuntu.com/download

Open Rufus and follow these steps:
  1. make sure that you set the boot section to FreeDOS
  2. Click the button next to the previous step on the same row marked select(not the drop down arrow bit)
  3. Choose the Ubuntu 20.04LTS.iso file
  4. Set file system is FAT32
  5. Cluster size is default
  6. Click start

Jan 26, 2021
I'm literally dealing with the exact same issue. But I know for sure after installing Ubuntu earlier today its not a hardware issue for myself. Next step will be isolating the driver thats the issue, but with this current QoL update they did, BSOD are pretty common. Especially IRQL, Page_Default, Memory_corruption, and multiple Watchdog.

Jan 21, 2021
Go to ubuntu.com/download

Open Rufus and follow these steps:
  1. make sure that you set the boot section to FreeDOS
  2. Click the button next to the previous step on the same row marked select(not the drop down arrow bit)
  3. Choose the Ubuntu 20.04LTS.iso file
  4. Set file system is FAT32
  5. Cluster size is default
  6. Click start
Just tried this, same error on boot:
"no irq handler for vector
Initramfs unpacking failed: Decoding failed"

Jan 26, 2021
I want you to try two things.
First do the boot with safe graphics it'll be listed as Install Ubuntu (safe graphics), then try to install.
If that fails go into your BIOS and disable iommu and try again.

Worst case scenario you have to rebuild the ramdisk file (Grub Menu>Additional Options>Recovery Mode>Root Access) then type: sudo update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)
let that run then type reboot and bam the faulty ramdisk should be fixed

Jan 21, 2021
I want you to try two things.
First do the boot with safe graphics it'll be listed as Install Ubuntu (safe graphics), then try to install.
If that fails go into your BIOS and disable iommu and try again.

Worst case scenario you have to rebuild the ramdisk file (Grub Menu>Additional Options>Recovery Mode>Root Access) then type: sudo update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)
let that run then type reboot and bam the faulty ramdisk should be fixed
I entered Ubuntu (safe graphics), it still displayed the same errors, however after a few seconds it brought me to a menu that let me try or install Ubuntu. I clicked on try, it displayed the same IRQ errors for a moment, and now I think it's booted up properly? Is a giant red and purple cat as the desktop a good sign? :LOL:

Jan 21, 2021
Is your SSD already written on? And I wouldn't worry where you install it since you're using this to test if your hardware is defective or not.
I have windows 10 installed on my SSD drive. I'm a bit confused about the installation menu, in particular the "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows Boot Manager menu." How much space should I drag the divider for Ubuntu? I feel like 1.5 TB is pretty excessive for an OS. :eek:

Jan 26, 2021
I have windows 10 installed on my SSD drive. I'm a bit confused about the installation menu, in particular the "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows Boot Manager menu." How much space should I drag the divider for Ubuntu? I feel like 1.5 TB is pretty excessive for an OS. :eek:

Honestly the os takes up like, 3 gb partition off like 20gb and just play around to see if everything is fine

Jan 21, 2021
Honestly the os takes up like, 3 gb partition off like 20gb and just play around to see if everything is fine
Alright it looks like I have Linux installed. For some reason my mouse and keyboard's lighting does not work now, although they still seem function without their lights. Programs and the file explorer also seem to be really slow and clunky, it's taking up to 5 minutes to open a folder with just a dozen small files in it. Is there a way I can access programs I had installed via Windows? How might I reboot back into Windows if I need to and access programs I had installed that don't work in Linux?

Jan 26, 2021
Alright it looks like I have Linux installed. For some reason my mouse and keyboard's lighting does not work now, although they still seem function without their lights. Programs and the file explorer also seem to be really slow and clunky, it's taking up to 5 minutes to open a folder with just a dozen small files in it. Is there a way I can access programs I had installed via Windows? How might I reboot back into Windows if I need to and access programs I had installed that don't work in Linux?

To boot back you go into your BIOS and select the drive that your windows is on and boot from that

Jan 21, 2021
To boot back you go into your BIOS and select the drive that your windows is on and boot from that
It looks like my PC has completely froze on me, moving the mouse, typing, and keyboard shortcuts don't seem to be working at all anymore. Linux is already making a wonderful first time impression.... :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.