Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2019
Using Autodesk software student software. I've used AutoCAD and inventor at school for a couple of years. I'll be looking to start using 360 fusion and MAYA.

I understand a professional build would be costly with GPUs easily over a thousand. What would be particle for a home computer, just to learn and keep my skills sharp.

Solution
Just for your info, CAD modeling don't require much hardware when you are learning and dealing with small assemblies. I worked in CATIA V5 on pentium4 and amd barton machines back in 2000's and worked out ok. Even now, I teach CATIA cad modelling and use some lga 775 e8200 with GT210 graphics card (around 2010 PC's).. really budget-low even then, and use the latest catia V5-6 R2019 on it and works ok for small assemblies (small- sub 1000compontets, we deal every day with 100-200 sub-assemblies and work fine)

So any new machine will work flawlessly in inventor with reasonable assemblies. Autodesk is the underdog in the CAD industry for engineering designs (big players: Catia, Proengineer/Creo, Unighraphics). For artistic designs in 3d...
Hello,
By looking at Fusion, they have recommended budget desktop build.
But by reading at
I've come at this.

Soo what Would be your perfered budget?
Do you have your own PC?
PS. Im asking that way soo If you could re-use some parts, like storage, monitor, windows and etc.

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Just for your info, CAD modeling don't require much hardware when you are learning and dealing with small assemblies. I worked in CATIA V5 on pentium4 and amd barton machines back in 2000's and worked out ok. Even now, I teach CATIA cad modelling and use some lga 775 e8200 with GT210 graphics card (around 2010 PC's).. really budget-low even then, and use the latest catia V5-6 R2019 on it and works ok for small assemblies (small- sub 1000compontets, we deal every day with 100-200 sub-assemblies and work fine)

So any new machine will work flawlessly in inventor with reasonable assemblies. Autodesk is the underdog in the CAD industry for engineering designs (big players: Catia, Proengineer/Creo, Unighraphics). For artistic designs in 3d, autodesk sits really good on market with Alias Automotive (class A surface design) on same step with ICEM Surf from DS (CATIA)
As for 360fusion.. it's the smaller and dumber brother of inventor, I as an engineer would not bother with it.

You can go with a mid level build, like a quad core i3 and some 1050 graphics and will work fine and very usable.

Reactions: RememberThe5th
Solution
Mar 2, 2019
2011 iMac basic model. Running windows via bootcamp. Worked well, until recently it's practically unusable now. I deleted the bootcamp partition and factory reset the mac. Now I have something of a functioning computer. Not sure what to do with it.

Only thing I have for windows is a 1TB external HD. I know that basic autocad and inventor work on any cheap computer but what about bigger files or rendering or if used a lisp reader?

Would CNC machine software run fine?

Also the animation on MAYA?

Sorry if my questions, make no sense. I'm new to all this and get all my info from google/youtube.

Mar 2, 2019
Hello,
By looking at Fusion, they have recommended budget desktop build.
But by reading at
I've come at this.

Soo what Would be your perfered budget?
Do you have your own PC?
PS. Im asking that way soo If you could re-use some parts, like storage, monitor, windows and etc.
That's exactly the what I've been looking at, particularly the Ryzen 2700x build. Someone suggested I swap the 500GB Samsung evo for a 1TB Intel SSD at a lower price.

Mar 2, 2019

So any new machine will work flawlessly in inventor with reasonable assemblies. Autodesk is the underdog in the CAD industry for engineering designs (big players: Catia, Proengineer/Creo, Unighraphics). For artistic designs in 3d, autodesk sits really good on market with Alias Automotive (class A surface design) on same step with ICEM Surf from DS (CATIA)
As for 360fusion.. it's the smaller and dumber brother of inventor, I as an engineer would not bother with it.

You can go with a mid level build, like a quad core i3 and some 1050 graphics and will work fine and very usable.
I recently completed an AAS degree in CAD. May I message you for advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.