Question Building new pc - parts being shipped

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
BANNED
Nov 19, 2019
im thinking of buying the Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 ...... or the asrock b660M pro rs mobo's

also thinking of going with MSI MAG A650BN Gaming Power Supply - 80 Plus Bronze Certified 650W - Compact Size - ATX PSU

gpu: rx 6800
cpu: intel i5-12400f

What do you think about all this?

im thinking of buying the Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 ...... or the asrock b660M pro rs mobo's

also thinking of going with MSI MAG A650BN Gaming Power Supply - 80 Plus Bronze Certified 650W - Compact Size - ATX PSU

gpu: rx 6800
cpu: intel i5-12400f

What do you think about all this?
Never cheap out on a PSU. Its the one part you want a good quality unit no matter what with a dGPU. This is what I would do:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($153.80 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 PG Riptide ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Core Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card ($374.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa N21 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-750 ATX 3.0 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer VG271U M3bmiipx 27.0" 2560 x 1440 180 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $777.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-17 14:06 EDT-0400

Last edited:

Maximuzzm

Reputable
BANNED
Nov 19, 2019
Never cheap out on a PSU. Its the one part you want a good quality unit no matter what with a dGPU.
ok... what would you recommend?

I could argue that for every component, I get your point tho. As long as its not a fire hazard im ok with it tbh.
I dont think an msi gaming psu would really be that worrisome for me. I live life on the edge though.

The motherboard specs said that you could run even a 14900KS.
But, you would not get the full power of such a chip.

If you are looking at a chip like a 12400F it would work perfectly fine.
Note... I would really try to avoid the F suffix processors.
Sometime when you have gpu issues, integrated graphics will save you.

For any motherboard of interest, try to find a review.
or, look at the reasons for any zero egg reviews on newegg.
Look for a motherboard with a 8 pin aux connector plus another 4 or 8 pin.
Look for a decent vrm heat sink.

12400 class processors are not particularly power hungry, but in the future you may want to upgrade.

ok... what would you recommend?

I could argue that for every component, I get your point tho. As long as its not a fire hazard im ok with it tbh.
I dont think an msi gaming psu would really be that worrisome for me. I live life on the edge though.
No, you cannot argue the same point with every component. A crap PSU can destroy the rest of the PC. As PSUs age they also cannot deliver the same wattage as cleanly as they do when they are new. You want a good quality unit so the computer lasts with no issues. Good PSUs also have great long 7+year warranties and only cost a bit more than crap ones. Check my post above again for my recommendations.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
BANNED
Nov 19, 2019
The motherboard specs said that you could run even a 14900KS.
But, you would not get the full power of such a chip.

If you are looking at a chip like a 12400F it would work perfectly fine.
Note... I would really try to avoid the F suffix processors.
Sometime when you have gpu issues, integrated graphics will save you.

For any motherboard of interest, try to find a review.
or, look at the reasons for any zero egg reviews on newegg.
Look for a motherboard with a 8 pin aux connector plus another 4 or 8 pin.
Look for a decent vrm heat sink.

12400 class processors are not particularly power hungry, but in the future you may want to upgrade.
I read it wouldnt work perfectly fine with the 12400f... I sent it back Id rather not have to worry about it.

I plan on purchasing an rx 6800gpu... whats a good budget cpu/mobo that you recommend I pair it with? I never hard anyone say avoid the F series. Its only $130 though lol. What would be a good cheap alternative?

Maximuzzm

Reputable
BANNED
Nov 19, 2019
hmmm... your build seems about right... The only thing I would say is I bet I could save maybe 30$ buying a cheaper board that still will work fine. I dont know much about different boards though. Will all boards allow me to overclock my 12600kf? or does it need to have core boost. Why that board and not something like the Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 ...... or the asrock b660M pro rs for cheaper.

Also I was told to avoid the 12400F and anything with an F. Something about how its nice to have integrated graphics when your gpu is being stressed. Should I avoid the 12600kf for this reason too? It still has an F in the name -.-

I guess it would be smart to spend an extra $30 on a gold rated psu. Im just trying to be as cheap as possible. Its going to be really hard for me to afford all of this.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
BANNED
Nov 19, 2019
The IGP is nice to have if your GPU dies, making the system usable, plus helpful for troubleshooting GPU issues. To be perfectly honest, your budget is a bit low for 1440p gaming.
why the 12600kf and not the 12400f.... i was told previously the 12600kf is overkill... however, I didnt really feel like it would be. I know what having an outdated/weaker processor feels like

Any F SKU doesn't have functional integrated graphics whether it just be F or KF the F is the important part.

Here's written versions of the Hardware Unboxed B660 coverage which explains about power delivery:

Maximuzzm

Reputable
BANNED
Nov 19, 2019
what do you think of this board its only 94$ on amazon.. and supposed to be a good budget board

ASRock B660M Pro RS Intel B660 Series CPU​

Maximuzzm

Reputable
BANNED
Nov 19, 2019
according to the article posted earlier...

the asrock b660 pro seems to perform a lot higher than the standard b660 as far as vrm goes....the only problem is it seems to also produce dangerously high temperatures

ngl probably going to budget pick this along with a budget psu -.- please dont hate.....

I will be upgrading to a 12600k though

Maximuzzm

Reputable
BANNED
Nov 19, 2019
Im looking into integrated graphics now....... I dont seem to care about this at all.. I plan on purchasing a rx 6800 gpu... i would never use the integrated graphics

wont the i5-12400f be more than enough to pair with my rx 6800?

its 2024 and im still using a first gen i7 and run into very few problems even running todays games

It's a fine choice the recommendation to get one with the IGP is that you have something to fall back on should there be any issues or you need to troubleshoot. Some things can benefit from quicksync as well which you don't get without the IGP. There's also the future use situation down the road when it gets replaced as primary system you might have a use case for it that doesn't need a video card but without the IGP you don't have a choice.

Personally speaking if there's an option with integrated in what I'm buying I will simply because I'd rather have it and not need it than the opposite. That security is worth the price to me, but that's absolutely a personal choice situation.

Reactions: geofelt

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
I believe the Asrock Z690 Extreme might be a bit better of a boad, for a similar price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FNWzK8/asrock-z690-extreme-atx-lga1700-motherboard-z690-extreme
I didn't even know about that one. Nice!

But yeah, the OP was going for a super cheap, economy style, death trap that is the AsRock B660M HDV. I suggested a Gigabyte board instead but that one was a little bit weak too. The Riptide was a little bit more expensive but miles ahead of those.

The extreme is better still, but the escalation from B660M-HDV~! to z690 Extreme is lol.

Also I’m not seeing it on their site, but I know the op talked about a microcenter bundle. I know a few years ago if you bought a cpu and compatible board they gave 40 dollars off the board. I think they’d changed it to 20. But might be a consideration since they don’t have the combo available at his store. Might be worth checking. I wonder if that program exists anymore or they’ve done away with it.

Last edited:

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
Ok so I ordered a new pc and already shipped a few parts to me.... just asking for some advice before I get tired of it all and just order the parts like the ones I currently ordered.

mobo:ASRock B660M MicroATX Motherboard B660M-HDV Intel B660 Series CPU (LGA1700) Compatible (being shipped now)
cpu: Intel Core i5 Core 12400F Desktop Processor 18M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz (being shipped now)
memory: Silicon Power SP016GBLFU320B22 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory (being shipped now)
display: Acer Nitro VG271U M3bmiipx 27" WQHD (2560 x 1440) 180 hz (being shipped now)
gpu: 1050 ti (gifted)
psu: corsair cx650 650w (gifted, not sure if green or gray)
storage: x2 1tb ssd 4th gen (gifted)

Some of the components are gifted from a friend. They had them just laying around.

Anyways let me know what you think. I want to put an rx 6800 in this rig... will it work?

Is it a good buy and worth it? just lmk what you think . Hate it or love it idc I value all of your opinions
The CPU is good, probably for 5+ years with its six cores. Gaming is mostly still at the quadcore level.

You could have purchased a cheaper DDR5 motherboard and put the saving into DDR5 RAM for the same total cost. It would have given you some extra FPS with your GPU.

Your GPU is old, while it will do 1080p gaming on moderate settings its not going to do it on high settings, and its in no way shape or form going to deliver 1440p at 180hz.

Your monitor does not match the capabilities of your GPU. It should have been a 60hz 1080p monitor. Unless you intend buying a GPU soon you should have got a 60hz 1080p monitor.

I recommend grabbing a RTX 4060 as soon as you can, and they are quite cheap at the moment.