Dec 31, 2021
Hello i was building my own pc
And I didn’t yet have all of the parts yet <processor and ram>
even tho i didn’t have all the components i read on google that you could turn on your pc without these components to test out the rest and yes i tried this but when i tried to turn on my pc it didn’t work..i’ve tried multiple things but nothing worked is it the psu’s fault or did the motherboard shorted cuz i read something about having too many standoffs which could lead up to a fried motherboard

Solution
The CPU, Mobo, PSU and RAM are the most vital components of a system. Without any of these, a PC cannot function even at its most basic level. The other major components that are not exactly required is a case, peripherals such as a mouse and keyboard, HDD (storage, of any kind) and a video card (as long as the CPU has built-in graphics).

If you attempt to start the PC without the vital components, it will throw an error in various ways depending on how the Mobo is built.
  1. It will have a light indicator stating said component has an issue according to a chart besides the lights
  2. It will have a beep speaker on the motherboard that will chirp various beep codes stating the issue it had (refer to motherboards manual for more...

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
The CPU, Mobo, PSU and RAM are the most vital components of a system. Without any of these, a PC cannot function even at its most basic level. The other major components that are not exactly required is a case, peripherals such as a mouse and keyboard, HDD (storage, of any kind) and a video card (as long as the CPU has built-in graphics).

If you attempt to start the PC without the vital components, it will throw an error in various ways depending on how the Mobo is built.
  1. It will have a light indicator stating said component has an issue according to a chart besides the lights
  2. It will have a beep speaker on the motherboard that will chirp various beep codes stating the issue it had (refer to motherboards manual for more information)
  3. It'll have a LED display on the motherboard displaying various numbers (refer to motherboard manual for the meaning of those numbers)

Reactions: Ltlevy
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Google is wrong, or taken out of context, giving you false impressions. Some motherboards will alliw you to update the bios without a cpu present, so that means it's entirely possible everything works without the cpu. Doesn't mean you'll be able to tell with a power on test. Doesn't mean the pc actually works.

Just wait until it's built, then worry about if it works or not.

Reactions: Ltlevy
Dec 31, 2021
Google is wrong, or taken out of context, giving you false impressions. Some motherboards will alliw you to update the bios without a cpu present, so that means it's entirely possible everything works without the cpu. Doesn't mean you'll be able to tell with a power on test. Doesn't mean the pc actually works.

Just wait until it's built, then worry about if it works or not.
Alright i’ll keep that in mind