Max Arthur

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
So one week ago, I build a new PC. All of the components are new, except for the Graphics Card. The Graphics Card is MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 2x. I buy it for $250 from a friend, and he buys it when he is on outside of the country, so I cant claim a warranty (it still has a international warranty). He used it for 2 years. For one week, I develop games with Unity Hdrp and play games such as RE8, RoN, Spiderman Re, Gta 5, etc. When playing RDR2, I notice the gpu fan is very loud, but I check the temp still under 80 so I don't really mind. But now after 1 week, I decided to play RDR2 (max settings 1080p), and after 1 hour, my PC suddenly go off, no BSOD. then I smell a burnt smell, like a plastic burning. So I immediately turn off my UPS and pull out the plug from the power source. I check the the graphics card and the smell is coming exactly from there, cuz the case and the psu didnt have the smell. After 15 minutes, I still smell the burnt from the left side of the gpu (the one that i mark on the image), the right side has no smell. I cant open the GPU because I dont have the correct screw to open it. Does anyone know what happened? Can it be fixed or I need to buy a new Graphics Card? Im really really (*)up if it cant be fixed

Image: https://ibb.co.com/k3yF9Pt

More details:
PSU is Cooler Master MWE 650 80+ Bronze.
I have 3 120mm fan on front and 1 120mm fan on the back. I also use Deepcool AK400 as the CPU Cooler

Edit:
I place the Gpu again, I turn the PC On, but its turned on for a split second then shut off. Then if i press the power button, It wont turn on anymore. Is the motherboard also dead? The PSu too?

Edit 2:
If i turn it on without the graphics card, It turned on normally

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
If the stickers behind the card are intact(including the one where it says warranty void if seal is broken) then you're best left not disassembling it. Since you say you have international warranty, bring MSI into the loop and see if you're able to RMA the card.

If you can't avail warranty, you will need to disassemble the card and then inspect where the smell is coming from and by that the area that's damaged.

Is this your PSU;
?

Last edited:

Max Arthur

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
If the stickers behind the card are intact(including the one where it says warranty void if seal is broken) then you're best left not disassembling it. Since you say you have international warranty, bring MSI into the loop and see if you're able to RMA the card.

If you can't avail warranty, you will need to disassemble the card and then inspect where the smell is coming from and by that the area that's damaged.
I already open the warranty sticker but I cant open the screw cuz my normal phillips screwdriver cant open it. Maybe the gpu chip burned? I turn on the PC without GPU, and the PC turned on normally. But when I place the GPU, it just turned on for split second then turned off. After that, pressing the power button is useless.

Max Arthur

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021

Is this your PSU;
?

This one

Max Arthur

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
I already open the warranty sticker but I cant open the screw cuz my normal phillips screwdriver cant open it. Maybe the gpu chip burned? I turn on the PC without GPU, and the PC turned on normally. But when I place the GPU, it just turned on for split second then turned off. After that, pressing the power button is useless.
Now I can open the graphics card, here's what i found: https://ibb.co.com/MV7TZf0

I dont see any burning marks except for the thermal pad? But the burning smell still coming from the 9 black little box on the left (i cant tell which one)