Dec 13, 2021
Hi,

Today my PC randomly froze, then after restarting the PC the monitor would remain black and have no signal. I swapped my RTX 3090 with an older GPU (1050ti) and it works fine. I’m about ready to RMA the 3090, but wanted to hear your thoughts in case I’ve missed something?

My PSU is only a 750w, so cutting it fine for a 3090. But it’s been running fine for about 8 months. So not sure why wattage would suddenly be an issue now.

I should add that the GPU fans and lights turn on like normal. And I’ve tried taking the 3090 in and out.

Would appreciate some insight, thanks!

CPU: Ryzen 9 - 3950x
CPU Cooler: Noctua DH-14
Operating System: Win 11
Motherboard: TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Memory: Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4
Storage: Samsung 120GB 850 EVO
Additional Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 series
Additional storage: random 2TB WD drive
Graphics card: RTX 3090
Case: Fractal Design R5
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W

Solution
PSU's provide three different voltages ( 3, 5, and 12) to varying system components.

So depending on the specific failure(s) involved what happens can and does vary.

For the most part if Reliability History and Event Viewer show increasing numbers of varying errors, etc., then (in my mind) that is an indication of a failing PSU.

And if you have access to a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) then some testing can be done.

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltage(s) out of tolerance make the PSU very suspect.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Ralston18

Titan
Disk drives:

Storage: Samsung 120GB 850 EVO
Additional Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 series

Which drive is the boot drive?

How full are both drives?

120 GB likely too small for the OS.

= = = =

As for the PSU if it has been heavily used for gaming and constantly required to provide peak power levels then the PSU may be starting to falter and fail.

PSU's ( just as many products do) have a built in EOL (End of Life). As EOL is approached then problems can and do occur.

FYI:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Not with the intent or suggestion that you go out an purchase a new PSU.

Just use the calculators to determine what wattage PSU your build actually requires.

As you stated: "My PSU is only a 750w, so cutting it fine for a 3090."

Reference:

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3090-GAMING-X-TRIO-24G/Specification

Recommended PSU is 750 Watts for just the GPU.

With everything else demanding power and/or heavy gaming use the PSU is a likely culprit.

Reactions: Jibwood
Dec 13, 2021
Boot drive is: Samsung 120GB 850 EVO
Both SSD’s are about 70% full, I chuck most of my files on my slow 2TB mechanical drive.

———————————

Right that does make sense - maybe the PSU has just reached a point which it cannot sustain that power.

I did at some point plan to upgrade the PSU, I guess maybe I should get that over and done with now before I RMA the 3090 - to rule out the PSU.

One question, if a PSU cannot sustain a wattage. Would it just go black or blue screen on boot?

Cheers.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU's provide three different voltages ( 3, 5, and 12) to varying system components.

So depending on the specific failure(s) involved what happens can and does vary.

For the most part if Reliability History and Event Viewer show increasing numbers of varying errors, etc., then (in my mind) that is an indication of a failing PSU.

And if you have access to a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) then some testing can be done.

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltage(s) out of tolerance make the PSU very suspect.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Solution