Question Buzzing noise coming from PSU when GPU fans begin to spin

Sep 5, 2024
I built my PC less than 3 weeks ago. I've never heard this sound until yesterday as soon as I booted up my PC (since I had zero RPM mode off).

If I turn zero RPM mode on the noise goes away. As soon as fans start spinning even a little bit the sound comes back (I use AMD's Adrenaline to change the fans' RPM)

I removed the side panel, checked for any cables in the way of fans, dust, or plastic; and found nothing. The sound persists and might have even gotten louder. Yesterday I think it was more of a clicking sound, but now it's just straight up buzzing.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x
CPU cooler: Deepcool AG400
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4
Ram: Kingston Fury Beast 2x16gb DDR4
SSD/HDD: Samsung 980 500GB M.2 NVMe
GPU: Powercolor Fighter RX 6650 XT
PSU: Be Quiet Pure Power 11 (bought it brand new 4 weeks ago)
Chassis: MS Fighter v315
Monitor: AOC 24G2SPU
BIOS version: P3.20

Could it be coil whine and how do i determine if it's that?

I'm fairly certain the sound is coming from the PSU since I got everybody in my family to put their ear inside the case and they all pointed to the PSU.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'm fairly certain the sound is coming from the PSU since I got everybody in my family to put their ear inside the case and they all pointed to the PSU.
You don't need an army to change a light bulb, so to speak. Roll an A4 sheet of paper into a cylinder and hold one end to your ear, using the other end to probe for the source of the noise.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Reactions: withoutawithout
Sep 5, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You don't need an army to change a light bulb, so to speak. Roll an A4 sheet of paper into a cylinder and hold one end to your ear, using the other end to probe for the source of the noise.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.
Ok done, thank you and sorry for not taking a look at how to properly do these posts.

I've tried your paper method and I'm now sure the noise is coming from the PSU. Though I could get my family members do it as well for further conformation lol.