[SOLVED] C drive (SSD) keeps filling automatically (virus infected) done everything including resetting Windows 10

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Long story short, I downloaded a virus exe yesterday (all my fault). Ever since my SSD (C drive) had been filling itself automatically. Like 2 GB in 40 mins time or 100 mb every 10 mins. Tried everything including Anti virus check, malwarebyte, adwcleaner, ccleaner even restarting windows 10. Sadly still not working from the time I started writing this thread to the finish my C drive had already been filled 2 GB for no apparent reason. I used treesize to check the content and the culprits were system volume information and the windows folder were filling itself. Any luck or am I screwed?

Solution
A reinstall of the OS is in order. Fabricate your bootable USB installer suing Windows Media Creation Tools and format C drive. It's a good idea if you use a donor system with a pen drive that hasn't made contact with your infected system. You could use a paid antivirus before

USAFRet

Titan
Your only option is a full wipe and reinstall.

Actually, a better option would be to recover from the full drive backup you made before this happened.
But I'm guessing that is not a thing...

Lutfij

Titan
A reinstall of the OS is in order. Fabricate your bootable USB installer suing Windows Media Creation Tools and format C drive. It's a good idea if you use a donor system with a pen drive that hasn't made contact with your infected system. You could use a paid antivirus before

Solution

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Your only option is a full wipe and reinstall.

Actually, a better option would be to recover from the full drive backup you made before this happened.
But I'm guessing that is not a thing...
So should I do a clean install?

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
All right thing is Ive been using this PC for 3 years no problem until I slipped yesterday so definitely a clean OS install is needed with a pen drive that is not been in contact with this infected PC. Though it will need to be since Ill backup my windows using this PC right? so unavoidable then

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Yes.
Delete ALL partitions in the process.

Whatever 'personal data' you might have in there is gone.
Ok just to be sure I format my C drive first, I have a gaming laptop with a Windows 10 (I maybe able to use this as the donor) though I hope that won't deactivate my windows 10 on the laptop. By deleting the partitions can I just delete all the contents on my C drive I mean all my games and game files are stored in the D drive

USAFRet

Titan
Ok just to be sure I format my C drive first, I have a gaming laptop with a Windows 10 (I maybe able to use this as the donor) though I hope that won't deactivate my windows 10 on the laptop. By deleting the partitions can I just delete all the contents on my C drive I mean all my games and game files are stored in the D drive
The laptop is irrelevant, except maybe in the process of creating a USB to install from. It is not a 'donor'.

Read the above tutorial link.

C drive and D drive....only you know what i infected and what is not.
Personally, I think ALL drives need to be wiped completely.

For the OS install, have only ONE drive connected.
Reconnect the others later.