Nov 19, 2021
edit: specs are i5 4460, gtx 960, 8GB ram, asrock H97 anniversary, evga supernova 650 G+, pny cs1311 240GB, win10

Hi all, I've been having a number of stability issues for a while now - random crashes/freezes/restarts, no signal on monitor at times, etc.

I was just thinking - I've had these issues happen whether I'm using integrated graphics or if I'm using GPU, but I haven't actually removed my GPU from my mobo before (trying that now). Is it possible that if GPU is faulty and still connected to mobo, it could be causing these issues, even when I'm actually running off of integrated graphics?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021
Check the ram, both physically seated correctly and showing up in bios/windows for full amounts/speeds.
thanks, can confirm my ram is seated properly and showing up in bios/windows for full amounts and speeds. I've also ran an extensive memtest with no errors and tried my ram sticks in different configurations

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): Make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to the crashes, freezes, etc..

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly.

Entries can be clicked for more detailed information. The details may or may not be helpful.

Nov 19, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): Make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to the crashes, freezes, etc..

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly.

Entries can be clicked for more detailed information. The details may or may not be helpful.
thanks, I've updated my post with specs.

was having these issues with old psu, got new psu and still having same issues

can confirm it's not my ssd causing the crashes as I've tried disconnecting ssd and using a new hdd, get the same crashes

in event viewer it just gives me a generic kernel power code 41. thanks for telling me about reliability history, I didn't know that was a thing. on only one event in particular in reliability history does it show a hardware error code 193 which is interesting. I'm going to post the code/parameters in maybe some microsoft forums to see if anyone can help me with that.

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Just as a note, your GPU definitely can cause problems when plugged in even if not being used as your video output. It's good practice to remove any devices you aren't using from your system.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That 193 code is improper chipset drivers. What that means is you inadvertently downloaded a driver for the ASR H97 Pro4, or you got drivers from somewhere not directly from ASR and they included a Pro4 driver in the package. Chipset drivers are the sole responsibility of the Vendor or Manufacturer to provide, they are not included in any Microsoft or Windows updates.

For instance if you have a Realtek audio, you can get the driver for that at ASR, but it's most likely out-dated, so you can also get a new release from Realtek directly, But, it may not be for whichever audio you have available, but for a more modern version or the Pro4 and then hit you with an error as nothing in windows will recognise it correctly.

That's easily fixed by installing the last updated driver package from ASR. Dates don't really matter much, they are what they are. Also dl any updates, there's usually a couple for audio and Lan etc. Check dates and versions for those in order to get the latest only.