Question Can an inadequate PSU make the GPU overheat ?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Hi, my cpu i5-4670k, gpu - Asrock rx 7800xt challenger oc, mobo- gigabyte z87x-ud3h, bios version F10b, psu corsair cs650m, corsair ram 4x4gb @1600 mhz dual channel, Crucia MX 500 500gb ssd, ,windows10, cpu cooler-Hyper 212X.

Today I bought Asrock rx 7800xt challenger oc and after like 1 hour of gaming i got green screen crash and my cabinet near gpu and the gpu itself was super hot. so i guess that crash happened cause of gpu overheating mayb? if so, then can the cause of gpu overheating be because I'm using only 650 watt psu instead a 750 watt psu?

for past 6 years, i've been using gtx 1050 ti on that same system and never had a green screen freeze .

Last edited:
Solution
Also a really big GPU for a relatively old CPU. Another problem you may be having is maxing out your CPU cycles trying push frames, plus the extra heat coming off the GPU (Because a 1050Ti uses a lot less power than a 7800XT) might be having an effect on the motherboard and general stability.

If you can increase the airflow in the chassis at all, or replace the chassis with a more airflow oriented one that would be a good idea.

But I agree, if that PSU is as old as the CPU, probably due for a replacement anyway. And running a high end GPU with it isn't the best idea.

Though really you should be looking into a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM/PSU/NVMe SSD at this point. Even an i3-12100 would be a massive improvement, or something like a Ryzen...

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
They should be hot. The proper way to diagnosis this is the actual temperature, not touching it with your fingers.
ya i was monitoring temps, but i wasn't expecting crash, so was bit ignorant to the overlay which was showing gpu temp. So dont know how much temp my gpu reached during crash, but during gaming i saw around 70-80c gpu temp and also gpu was using upto 270 watt.

Reactions: John Riel

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
That's not a concerning temperature.

Are all these crashes green screens? Any that just turn off the PC? I ask because that was an OKish PSU from a decade ago and really should have been reused on a new, higher-end GPU.
i had crash only once(my total PC runtine using new card is about 4 hours) and it was green screen freeze and it happened when i played "black desert online" on ultra settings( after playing like 40m), but pc did not turn off automatically

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
That's not a concerning temperature.

Are all these crashes green screens? Any that just turn off the PC? I ask because that was an OKish PSU from a decade ago and really should have been reused on a new, higher-end GPU.
btw, i just came to know that temp i said earlier was normal gpu temp, but gpu hotspot temp is most times 20 more than that, so hotspot temp was around 90-100. is that temp concerning?

I can't imagine that it could. Excess heat comes from an abundance of electricity not a dearth of it and a card getting less power than it needs won't be able to run hot. If the card's running hot, it's not because of a weak PSU, it's because there's something wrong with the card's cooling system. Usually, it's something as simple as the fins being clogged with dust.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Also a really big GPU for a relatively old CPU. Another problem you may be having is maxing out your CPU cycles trying push frames, plus the extra heat coming off the GPU (Because a 1050Ti uses a lot less power than a 7800XT) might be having an effect on the motherboard and general stability.

If you can increase the airflow in the chassis at all, or replace the chassis with a more airflow oriented one that would be a good idea.

But I agree, if that PSU is as old as the CPU, probably due for a replacement anyway. And running a high end GPU with it isn't the best idea.

Though really you should be looking into a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM/PSU/NVMe SSD at this point. Even an i3-12100 would be a massive improvement, or something like a Ryzen 5600 or i5-12400.

Solution

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015

Though really you should be looking into a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM/PSU/NVMe SSD at this point. Even an i3-12100 would be a massive improvement, or something like a Ryzen 5600 or i5-12400.
Ty, i increased the airflow, and my gpu temp improved by allmost 15c

Last edited:
Reactions: Avro Arrow

Latest posts