Question Can anyone help me with bottleneck?

Jan 19, 2023
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum and here're my specs:

1. Intel i3 7100
  2. B250M D2V MOBO Gigabyte
  3. ASRock AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Challenger Pro OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 128-Bit Graphics Card (https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Radeon RX 6600 XT Challenger Pro 8GB OC/), recently bought.
  4. X2 16GB 2400 MHZ Ram
  5. X1 SSD 512 GB AND X1 HDD 1TB
  6. HX850 CORSAIR PSU

These are my specs. I know that my CPU is very weak against the graphics card which I recently bought but I want to know at what percentage would it bottleneck?

I have gone through some of the websites online. Some of them mentioned between 20% and 50% but I wanna know if I play 1080P ultra games, then how much exactly I could expect it to bottleneck. Or generally, the bottleneck percentage. Thank you!

1. Intel i3 7100
  3. ASRock AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Challenger Pro OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 128-Bit Graphics Card (https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Radeon RX 6600 XT Challenger Pro 8GB OC/), recently bought.
  4. X2 16GB 2400 MHZ Ram
  6. HX850 CORSAIR PSU
These are my specs. I know that my CPU is very weak against the graphics card which I recently bought but I want to know at what percentage would it bottleneck?

I have gone through some of the websites online. Some of them mentioned between 20% and 50% but I wanna know if I play 1080P ultra games, then how much exactly I could expect it to bottleneck. Or generally, the bottleneck percentage. Thank you!
It doesn't matter how much money you spend as there will still be a bottleneck in some part of your system. If you are worried about gaming your CPU is weak for thing now as it is only 2c/4t. In modern AAA titles that will be a limiting factor. However, if you are only playing things like Rocket League then it won't be a factor.

1. Intel i3 7100
  4. X2 16GB 2400 MHZ Ram
  6. HX850 CORSAIR PSU

Hey there,

As the other posters have said, the term bottleneck is very misleading.

Your CPU is very weak in terms of the GPU you are running. It's just not got enough host processing power for modern gaming. Some basic games, yes. Your CPU send pre-rendered frames (data) to the GPU. If your CPU can't provide your GPU with enough data, and quickly, so it means that your GPU is always waiting on your CPU. This is not good.

In terms of percentage, that's hard to say. It will vary from game to game. Could be 5% or could be much higher, depending on the game.

However, with all that said, try not to pigeon hole your system. If you play games that aren't demanding CPU wise, then your 6600XT will be just fine. If you are playing something more AAA, then you just have to get serious about what you want to achieve, and buy components that will allow your 660XT to work at it's best

Reactions: himanshubp55
Jan 19, 2023
A bottleneck is when one component in a system is holding back the performance of the other components. In your case, the Intel i3-7100 is considered a low-end CPU and may not be able to keep up with the performance of the ASRock AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT graphics card, which is a high-end card.

It's hard to give an exact percentage of the bottleneck without benchmarking your specific setup, but it's likely that the CPU will be the bottleneck in your system, especially when playing games that are demanding on the CPU. It's possible that the bottleneck could be anywhere between 20% and 50% or even more depending on the game and the settings you're using.

If you're playing games at 1080p resolution and on ultra settings, you may experience lower frame rates and stuttering due to the CPU not being able to keep up with the demands of the graphics card.

You can try to lower the game settings to reduce the load on the CPU, or overclock your CPU to try to get more performance out of it. However, keep in mind that overclocking can cause additional heat and may shorten the lifespan of your CPU.

USAFRet

Titan
A bottleneck is when one component in a system is holding back the performance of the other components.
More nuanced...

When one component does let some other component reach its full potential.

For instance, a slower CPU and a hotrod GPU.
The CPU can only provide 100FPS. But the GPU could, in theory, give good graphics at 200FPS.

The CPU is not 'holding it back'. Rather, not letting it reach its full potential.
It doesn't make the GPU run 'slower'.

Conversely, a top end CPU and mediocre GPU.

The CPU will still provide 200FPS. The GPU, however, cannot provide good graphics at that framerate. So turn down the graphics level.

Reactions: PEnns