[SOLVED] Can Disabling RAID Kill a Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jozeftierney

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I just built a new computer for a user at work and after building it all the components showed up properly in the BIOS. I set up RAID 1 between two samsung 1TB NVMe SSDs which worked fine but when I tried booting to the Windows 10 install USB it just kept booting to the BIOS. I was trying suggestions I found online and decided to try disabling RAID to see if that did anything but it still just booted to the BIOS and was only showing one drive. Removing one drive at a time and swapping drives shows one just isn't showing up, is it common for disabling raid to harm drives?

I can't find much online about this but if there's anything I can try that anyone can think of it would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this is useful here but here's specs anyway.
Mobo - ASUS Z390-A
CPU - I7-9770K
RAM - 64GB 3600MHz DDR4 Corsair
GPU - NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Storage - 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD

Solution
Figured it out!

For anyone coming here with a similar problem, it seems like disabling RAID removed the volumes on the SSDs so the BIOS had trouble seeing them, not entirely sure.

Plugging the drives into another PC didn't initially show them but running "Disk Management" let me add a volume to them, this also formats them. After that I was able to see them in the new computer's BIOS and set them up in RAID.

Also discovered the reason it was booting straight to the BIOS is because the windows install USB was corrupted but that's not really the focus of this thread.
Boot to bios doesn't tell me much, do you actually mean it just goes black or says the drive is not bootable, or do you mean it actually enters the bios setup menu without user interaction?

Can you use the hotkey to enter the boot menu ?

Have you tried to alter the boot sequence from bios setting menu (put the raid unit at top) ?

jozeftierney

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Boot to bios doesn't tell me much, do you actually mean it just goes black or says the drive is not bootable, or do you mean it actually enters the bios setup menu without user interaction?

Can you use the hotkey to enter the boot menu ?

Have you tried to alter the boot sequence from bios setting menu (put the raid unit at top) ?

I meant even without pressing "Del" or "F2" it would send itself to bios, even with the windows install USB inserted and selected as the boot drive. It never said anything wasn't bootable but now the drive I believe is dead just doesn't show up at all. (This started once I disabled RAID)

jozeftierney

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Figured it out!

For anyone coming here with a similar problem, it seems like disabling RAID removed the volumes on the SSDs so the BIOS had trouble seeing them, not entirely sure.

Plugging the drives into another PC didn't initially show them but running "Disk Management" let me add a volume to them, this also formats them. After that I was able to see them in the new computer's BIOS and set them up in RAID.

Also discovered the reason it was booting straight to the BIOS is because the windows install USB was corrupted but that's not really the focus of this thread.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.