[SOLVED] Can I add a PCI 2 card to a computer with only PCI E slots?

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
I've been getting into music production and my dad gave me this old MIDI expansion card for my PC that he payed a forture for back in the early 2000s. This would be great, but at the moment I've got a B-350 motherboard which has no PCI 3 slots and this is a PCI 3 card. This is probably not possible, but is there any way I can adapt this card to my PCI-e motherboard or is it just garbage now?

Solution
I've been getting into music production and my dad gave me this old MIDI expansion card for my PC that he payed a forture for back in the early 2000s. This would be great, but at the moment I've got a B-350 motherboard which has no PCI 3 slots and this is a PCI 3 card. This is probably not possible, but is there any way I can adapt this card to my PCI-e motherboard or is it just garbage now?
Yes adapters do exist
https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pex1pci1
Note however that you also must connect your PSU to provide sufficient voltage

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Usually the socket should still be able to recognize the card correctly. You could try doing that while being really careful (Note that the card could cause issues and being broken after years of not being used!) and in the worst case there should be adapters for when it doesnt suit the PCI-e on the mainboard :)

Aug 22, 2020
As long as the card fits into the PCIE socket it should be able to recognise it correctly. As the same socket is used. They just have diffrent speeds. Therefore you can use a pci 1 card with a pci 4 socket

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
Okay maybe you don't get this one, PCI 3 is like a totally different slot. It's not like PCI-e 1x or PCI-e 16x it has a different distance from the edge of the motherboard and it won't fit in any PCI-e slot. I'm wondering if there's some sort of adapter. I tried to research it, but all I could find was PCI-e 16x extensions.

Okay maybe you don't get this one, PCI 3 is like a totally different slot. It's not like PCI-e 1x or PCI-e 16x it has a different distance from the edge of the motherboard and it won't fit in any PCI-e slot. I'm wondering if there's some sort of adapter. I tried to research it, but all I could find was PCI-e 16x extensions.

Are you talking about this slot?
PCI_Slots_Digon3.JPG

What motherboard do you have?(exact model)

Yes adapters do exist
https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pex1pci1
Note however that you also must connect your PSU to provide sufficient voltage

Reactions: jadenwoolworth
Solution