Question Can I install Windows 10 on unallocated space?

PeepoBuildsPCs

Prominent
Mar 5, 2021
I want to install Windows 10 since I installed Windows 11 below system requirements. But I still have many things on Windows 11 that I don't want to lose.

I can't roll back to Windows 10 since it's past 10 days. I know it's possible to install both OS's alongside each other. Can I install Windows 10 on this unallocated space? Do I have to create a new simple drive instead?

xcYCzbe.png

Themk yew!

Last edited:

PeepoBuildsPCs

Prominent
Mar 5, 2021
Is there a specific reason you cannot just back up the items you wish to save to an external storage and re-install W10, since the system isn't "W11 ready"?

This might sound a bit unreasonable, but I have... a lot installed. I've been using Windows 11 for about 4-5 months now, with terabytes of files. In addition to that, I don't have any drives that have enough space for that, not to mention I use them all to begin with.

Do you have two Windows licenses? As far as I know, you would need two, even if both installs are on the same drive. That's 130 bucks or so, which would buy a large storage drive.
windows 11 doesnt have new activation system, all the keys are same as win 10

as far as i know you can have one backup around, you cant run both at same time (like through VM)
having both win 10 and 11 on multiboot with single key is non issue

USAFRet

Titan
This might sound a bit unreasonable, but I have... a lot installed. I've been using Windows 11 for about 4-5 months now, with terabytes of files. In addition to that, I don't have any drives that have enough space for that, not to mention I use them all to begin with.
Sorry, but this needs to be handled first.
You really really really need a good backup of anything you do not wish to lose.

Especially if this is the only drive in the system.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

I am not sure, but think you will run into access issues if you are trying to move items between the OS partitions. I know that if you load an OS disk from another computer (such as in a caddy, etc.) that it often gives issue. I suspect the same will happen here.