Question Can I put my SSD on another setup and expect it to work the same?

Heathclifff

Honorable
Nov 9, 2014
Hello, I would like to ask if it is okay to just plug my SSD with installed Windows 10 and other programs into my brother's desktop PC. And then boot up and expect everything to be the same.
Our specs are very similar. Same CPU (i5 4690k), different brand (but same) ram and graphics card. Also I have an Asrock Z97 mobo while he has an Asus Z97.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, I would like to ask if it is okay to just plug my SSD with installed Windows 10 and other programs into my brother's desktop PC. And then boot up and expect everything to be the same.
Our specs are very similar. Same CPU (i5 4690k), different brand (but same) ram and graphics card. Also I have an Asrock Z97 mobo while he has an Asus Z97.
"very similar"

Might work, might fail.

Moving a drive+OS to different hardware has 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

Z97 -> Z97....yeah, it might work. Or it might fail.
And it WILL incur licensing/activation issues.

But why are you doing this?

Heathclifff

Honorable
Nov 9, 2014
But why are you doing this?

Basically, I will be visiting my parents for Christmas. My brother's setup is there but he is away in the army. I was hoping I could make use of it if possible.

For the other questions:
  • The exact model of the motherboards are: Asus Z97-Pro Gamer (his), Asrock Z97 Extreme6 (mine)
  • Both setups have Windows 10 activated with a purchased license. Different keys but same edition Windows.

USAFRet

Titan
Basically, I will be visiting my parents for Christmas. My brother's setup is there but he is away in the army. I was hoping I could make use of it if possible.

For the other questions:
  • The exact model of the motherboards are: Asus Z97-Pro Gamer (his), Asrock Z97 Extreme6 (mine)
  • Both setups have Windows 10 activated with a purchased license. Different keys but same edition Windows.
The only answer to that is a 100% Maybe.
It might work, it might fail.

And YOUR OS will probably become Unactivated, upon seeing the new hardware.

I might try this with a clone of your current drive, not your actual drive.

Reactions: Heathclifff