[SOLVED] Can I use 8GB modules if my MOBO has 4 slots and supports 16GB max?

Aug 21, 2020
I have this motherboard which is a Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 with 4 memory slots. I'm using it with a Phenom II X4 960T. The manual says that the board supports "4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory". My question is: are 4 modules of 4GB each the max configuration that is supported by the motherboard? Or can I also install 2 modules of 8GB each? And if I can install 8GB modules, do they only work as 1 module per channel?
I'm asking this question because I might get a better deal by buying 2x8GB memory instead of 4x4GB. Thank you.

Solution
Yesh 1gb and 4gb work fine on the motherboard. I was trying to figure out if 8gb sticks would work too before buying any...
The best way to find out about this is to search your exact motherboard model and 8GB or 32GB memory (as 32GB would be the new max). You can also search for the motherboard model and 'max memory' and that should point you in the right direction. :)

So I just noticed you had the motherboard model in your original post so I did the searches and found the answer. :D Yes, your board does support 8GB modules for a total of 32GB:
https://www.compuram.biz/memory/gig...ries/ga-770t-usb3-ga-770ta-ud3/?st=tab_maxmem...
Aug 21, 2020
Thank you for the reply. How do you know that 4GB is the max size per slot? I've searched this info everywhere but can't find anything. The manual just says "max size of 16GB" but doesn't say the size per module, and as far as I know Phenom II memory controller should support 8GB modules.
Besides, if I install an 8GB module will it be read as 4GB or will it just not boot at all?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not sure there, i never tried to put to big of a stick in a memory slot. i always find the max and go with that or less.

check crucial.com for their memory finder. that's where i went to find out since the product page did not say. most likely it is in the manual itself but i did not bother to download it since i know crucial is reliable for that type of information.

they will only sell you a stick that will work for you and it tells you the numbers the board can handle.

I've found that a lot of time the 'max' numbers are based on the max available in that time. It may work perfectly fine with 8GB modules, especially if the processor and chipset and bios supports them. I would definitely try it!

Case in point is how I discovered the HP z420 workstation can support 256GB of ram via LRDIMMs which aren't supposed to even be supported since they are reg ecc dimm vs ecc dimm. But they did and I went from a max of 32GB to 256GB of memory. Memtest took 38hrs. :eek:

Aug 21, 2020
@SamirD The z420 is a workstastion, you likely have a xeon in there which is supposed to support reg memory, so maybe it's not a big surprise. But it's crazy if they advertise 32GB ECC, and then the machine supports 256GB REG ECC. These "specs" seem like the "requirements" in video games... hit or miss until you try.
My board is a desktop board though, not a high-class workstation board... so maybe 8GB sticks won't work at all, or maybe they're wired for 4GB and will work on a reduced size. I wish all this information were more clear.

Reactions: SamirD
Thank you for the reply. How do you know that 4GB is the max size per slot? I've searched this info everywhere but can't find anything. The manual just says "max size of 16GB" but doesn't say the size per module, and as far as I know Phenom II memory controller should support 8GB modules.
Besides, if I install an 8GB module will it be read as 4GB or will it just not boot at all?

If you go on the specs sheet, it's written in the NOTES section:

Note
(Note 1) Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
far as ive seen you drop whatevrr you want as long as its not over the total supported. even a higher frequency just tunes down to the supported. are you using just 1 stick? i literally just watchd a clip theh benchmark 1 or 2 sticks same total gb and the duel trounced the singlenstick

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
ok i checked out your user manual...4 slots, plug the 4gb sticks in the 1 and 2 slots...of hou3 want to ise the 1 gb sticks 3 and 4 slots
ps- try it with just the 4gb sticks first so you know of mixing in the 1 gb was worth it...aftrrr that you can get pack of 2x4 matching and max out that 16gm booard

@SamirD The z420 is a workstastion, you likely have a xeon in there which is supposed to support reg memory, so maybe it's not a big surprise. But it's crazy if they advertise 32GB ECC, and then the machine supports 256GB REG ECC. These "specs" seem like the "requirements" in video games... hit or miss until you try.
It does have a xeon, but even with a xeon, HP says 'no way' to registered modules even though they work, and no one apparently had tried LRDIMMs before me. :D

Yeah, the problem is that tech changes and isn't tested, so most companies won't say for sure if something will work because if it doesn't, it's their job to fix it. If you just stick to your guns, anything people find out is a bonus. :D Kinda like the original Toyota Supra--just a basic 300hp sports car that if you do a single turbo conversion can easily have over 2x that power. Same for the R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R. :D

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
oh my bad..yea i run 2x8 patriot 1866hz. they are pretty tight. i think my board is rated for 1333 then after its overclock so of its auto most likely at the 1333. but recently have it at the 1866 down to a 8 8 8 21 timing and it scores 55 on user bench....i cant get it higher
That is only for the software. These aren't hardware

Yesh 1gb and 4gb work fine on the motherboard. I was trying to figure out if 8gb sticks would work too before buying any...
The best way to find out about this is to search your exact motherboard model and 8GB or 32GB memory (as 32GB would be the new max). You can also search for the motherboard model and 'max memory' and that should point you in the right direction. :)

So I just noticed you had the motherboard model in your original post so I did the searches and found the answer. :D Yes, your board does support 8GB modules for a total of 32GB:
https://www.compuram.biz/memory/gig...ries/ga-770t-usb3-ga-770ta-ud3/?st=tab_maxmem

Solution

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
whats for software? hardware has pretty specific limits unless we are talking potatoes potAh toes stuff. and the windows 32...says "displayed" which isn't the real amount just a glitch i thought

ill leave it but I found rhe part I read wrong. i been up early runnjng all day. brains just there ritht now taking up space cuaee it aint working.

Last edited: