[SOLVED] Can I use two different RGB controllers made by two different manufactures using one Gen 2 addressable RGB header

eddietheperson

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
This is kind of a loaded question and I'm new to the RGB scene but have been working with computer hardware for many years. I recently purchases a prebuilt PC due to stand alone price of graphics cards these days (don't shame me, this is the first PC I haven't built myself in many years), and have an RGB liquid cooler with 2 RGB radiator fans (Gamdias?) that are connected to an RGB controller that connects to the mobo with an ARGB Gen 2 (3 pin) cable. It's an Asus mobo so I'm using Aura Sync (actually using Razer Chroma with an Aura Sync plugin) to control the LED effects. It works great. However, the case and case fans came pre-installed with some RGB fans that work on their own proprietary system. Basically, there is a button on the case that you can press to cycle through preset color modes, but there is no communicating with the mobo to sync with programs such as Aura or Chroma. I just ordered some Cooler Master fans that come with their own controller and am wondering.. if I use a splitter cable to split the single ARGB Gen 2 header connection on my motherboard, can I run both RGB controllers/hubs from the single port? I don't think voltage will be an issue since the hubs provide power to the connect fans/leds. I'm HOPING that you don't have to settle on one RGB fan brand and controller for your entire PC. The whole RGB thing is kind of silly, but at the same time.. it's awesome. I hope someone has some insight to this!

Solution
Yes, should be no problem. With powered Hubs as you have, they really only get from the mobo header the digital Control Line signal, and then share that out to all the lighting devices connected to the Hub. That signal is "standard" among ARGB systems, so any Hub can use it. And doing this will NOT overload the mobo header lines - the Hub and lights draw VERY little power from the Control Line.

alexbirdie

Respectable
Should work.

MB cannot realize, what kind of LED-device is connected to.

And on an argb-header everything compatible can be connected to.

And if coolermaster controller does have its own power-connection, than there should not be any issue with power-demand of the argb-header,too.

But to be honest, I did not try this, because I have only one argb-device.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, should be no problem. With powered Hubs as you have, they really only get from the mobo header the digital Control Line signal, and then share that out to all the lighting devices connected to the Hub. That signal is "standard" among ARGB systems, so any Hub can use it. And doing this will NOT overload the mobo header lines - the Hub and lights draw VERY little power from the Control Line.

Solution