Can my computer handle the graphics card?

mirageinfinity

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hello,
I bought a graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT) and upgraded 2 GB of ram, I was unaware that I needed to upgrade the power supply so my pc started shutting down on me. I bought a 350 watt power supply which can handle the graphics card, but my pc still shuts down, but it takes about 30 min for the pc to shut down. In game, the processor temp is 40 degrees Celsius and the load is at a solid 100%, when I run it with onboard graphics, the load is around 98-100%, and the pc wont shut down. So I'm starting to think I need a new processor, any suggestions on how I can fix this without spending any money.

I downloaded new drivers, and the computer has not shut down on me yet, but the processor is running at around 47-50 degrees Celsius now.

The graphics card runs fine, barley using it, and is at 50 degrees Celsius.

PC= Acer Aspire T180
Ram= 3 GB
Processor= AMD Athlon 64 Bit, 3800+, 2.41 GHz

mirageinfinity

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

thats what i thought too, so i downloaded core temp, and thats what is telling me the processor is at 40 degrees Celsius. i talked to some people, and the temp is ok, but why it's running at 100% load is what i dont know.

shakari

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

coretemp only tells you about the cpu, not the graphics card(gpu). Try downloading gpu-z http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1761/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.3.9.html Should give you a good read out on your graphics card. Also what drivers are you using? Nvidia have had to recall drivers from a week or two ago because they were causeing heat issues for most of the people who used them. Try useing the ones that came with your card (if your not useing them allready) or download the latest ones, which are supsodily ok.

mirageinfinity

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

mirageinfinity

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

well i updated the drivers, but the processor seems to still be running at 100%, the computer hasnt shut down on me so far (i've been using it with the graphics card in for a couple hours). is there some process that i can shut off that will put some relief on my processor? i can email you a photo of my Task Manager if you would like, just let me know.

When you open the task manager, click on the Processes tab, then click the CPU heading twice this will sort the list with the processes using the most CPU first. This will show you what process is using most CPU. This should be the System Idle Process, if it isn't, you may have a runaway task or possibly even a virus..

One thing that must be addressed here is the brand of PSU you bought because PCs don't shut down when they overheat, the freeze up. You see, the GeForce 9400 GT is really designed to only need a 300W PSU. What is the make and model of PSU that you bought? A no-name Generic 350W PSU might only actually put out 200W-250W which brings you back to square one. Another thing that a no-name generic PSU often can do is create so much electromagnetic "noise" that it causes system instability and results in random shut-downs. What make and model of 350W PSU did you buy? :sol:

mirageinfinity

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

it looks like it says GIAGI or something like that

Yeah that's a no-name alright. I can't even find them in google. I'd say your power supply is the culprit. You can't pay like $20 and expect to get quality in a PSU. I would expect that's the problem. :sol:

mirageinfinity

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

hey, i didnt pay $20, it was a wapping $40!! lol

so your thinking i need a bigger power supply yet?

mirageinfinity

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

I cant tell, does that power supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022) have the cable for SATA hard drives?

LOL, of course it does! It probably has more SATA connectors than MOLEX connectors! Don't worry about that, ALL PSU's have SATA connectors. :sol: