[SOLVED] Can my laptop run 1440p 144hz? i9 RTX 2080

Hvideo

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019
Hi guys, I have the Asus Zenbook Pro Duo laptop and I want to use it for some gaming plugged into a 144hz display. It can output to display via USB C.

I basically need to decide if I should get a HD 144hz or a 1440p. I would prefer the latter, but not if the extra resolution will make the framerates I want unacchavable. Games like PUBG, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Counter Strike GO, etc. Has anyone got any advice on this subject?

Specs are i9-9980HK, RTX 2060, 32gb ram, 1TB SSD

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Of course. 1440p will almost always result in lower FPS (Assuming equal settings at each resolution) than 1080p, as 4k will result in fewer FPS than 1440p. Anytime you increase the resolution you generally reduce performance, but since that unit can drive a 4k display fairly well, 1440p shouldn't be much problem. Obviously it's not going to perform as well as a desktop 2080, but it should still be quite capable. The thing I would be most worried about is extended gaming where the system gets too warm. I would frequently monitor both CPU and GPU temps to ensure that it is not overheating, at least periodically, and be very careful to never run it with it sitting on your pants, or blankets, or carpet, or anything that might block off or...
What is the ACTUAL model of the unit, including the submodel. The series, which is what Zenbook Pro Duo is, isn't very helpful, because there can be ten or more different hardware configurations for that series model, and may not offer the required information to know what the hardware on that unit is capable of including any specific BIOS related support or display output port information.

Hvideo

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019
What is the ACTUAL model of the unit, including the submodel. The series, which is what Zenbook Pro Duo is, isn't very helpful, because there can be ten or more different hardware configurations for that series model, and may not offer the required information to know what the hardware on that unit is capable of including any specific BIOS related support or display output port information.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure exactly what the unit is called - I'll try and figure out how to check. But it's the top of the range maxed out version in every regard if that helps? Will reply back with specific model details if I find them

Hvideo

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019

Hello, I've found it:
UX581GV-H2001T

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-zenb...6-oled-4k-touchscreen-celestial-blue/p4271133

So, probably doesn't matter. Whether it's the 2060, 2070 or 2080 version of that laptop it has both Thunderbolt USB C, AND, HDMI 2.0 outputs on it. Either of them can be used for 1440p 144hz output so long as the cabling you use is capable and high enough quality, as well as not being TOO long to support the resolution at that refresh rate.

Considering it can drive a 4k display attached to the system, 1440p should be a simple affair.

Hvideo

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019
So, probably doesn't matter. Whether it's the 2060, 2070 or 2080 version of that laptop it has both Thunderbolt USB C, AND, HDMI 2.0 outputs on it. Either of them can be used for 1440p 144hz output so long as the cabling you use is capable and high enough quality, as well as not being TOO long to support the resolution at that refresh rate.

Thanks for your answer. My main question is if it can handle the 1440p vs the 1080p when gaming. So am i likely to see significant frame drops (and play at medium/low settings ) using the 1440p monitor vs the 1080p? I want to stay above 120 frames per second

Of course. 1440p will almost always result in lower FPS (Assuming equal settings at each resolution) than 1080p, as 4k will result in fewer FPS than 1440p. Anytime you increase the resolution you generally reduce performance, but since that unit can drive a 4k display fairly well, 1440p shouldn't be much problem. Obviously it's not going to perform as well as a desktop 2080, but it should still be quite capable. The thing I would be most worried about is extended gaming where the system gets too warm. I would frequently monitor both CPU and GPU temps to ensure that it is not overheating, at least periodically, and be very careful to never run it with it sitting on your pants, or blankets, or carpet, or anything that might block off or restrict the airflow through the cooling vents on the bottom or sides.

Solution

Hvideo

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019
Of course. 1440p will almost always result in lower FPS (Assuming equal settings at each resolution) than 1080p, as 4k will result in fewer FPS than 1440p. Anytime you increase the resolution you generally reduce performance, but since that unit can drive a 4k display fairly well, 1440p shouldn't be much problem. Obviously it's not going to perform as well as a desktop 2080, but it should still be quite capable. The thing I would be most worried about is extended gaming where the system gets too warm. I would frequently monitor both CPU and GPU temps to ensure that it is not overheating, at least periodically, and be very careful to never run it with it sitting on your pants, or blankets, or carpet, or anything that might block off or restrict the airflow through the cooling vents on the bottom or sides.

Yeah I am hoping it will be enough to run on low settings at 1440p 144hz. Re: cooling, yes I agree that's a concern. I intend to basicly connect it to the one monitor that's on a desk and have the laptop in an optimal position for cooling - on a piece of heat absorbing metal or something with good air flow to mitigate overheating issues.

I think I will go with the 1440p monitor over HD, thanks very much for your input. It was also news to me that the HDMI prot could drive a 144hz display with the right cable, many thanks for that piece of information!

Low? No.

That mobile RTX 2080 should easily be capable of doing medium or high settings on most games at 1440p and hitting anywhere between 75-144fps with no problem, especially with that CPU. At the very least, on the MOST demanding games, I wouldn't expect to see less than 60fps on high settings. It's less capable than desktop versions, but it's not THAT much less capable.