Question can p5n7a vm boot from usb

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I'm pretty sure it can't since I didn't find an option in BIOS even when I had a USB Thumb Drive plugged .

I've been trying to find the answer but the Motherboard is so OLD that I can't find anything.

I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10. I've got the installation files on a USB Thumb Drive. I think I can just burn those to a DVD and boot from that.

I don't do enough OS upgrades to know the answers off hand.

Is another option to boot into Windows 7 and then run the install from the USB Thumb Drive? I've already cleaned everything off the C: drive.

Thanks.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
From the following OLD closed thread. The answer to my question about booting from USB Thumb Drive. I haven't tried to do the upgrade but after HOLDING down F8 I see the thumb drive. Tom's users save the day AGAIN!

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-boot-from-bootable-usb-stick.384136/
Sep 1, 2011
Add bookmark
Hello, I have built an XP PC using an ASUS motherboard M4N68T-M LE V2 with AMI BIOS.
It all works OK except that I can't boot from USB sticks. I have several sticks, from different manufactures, each containing a different LINUX distro. They all boot OK from my older PC which also has an ASUS motherboard and AMI BIOS.

I have been in contact with ASUS for about 3 weeks, I have followed all their instructions, but I still have my problem. I am thinking of buying ASUS motherboard M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 in the hope that it may solve my problem. ASUS tell me that this, in theory, should boot from a stick, but they said that about the other one and it doesn't. So I am not interested in theory now, I need a practical positive report.

I should be most grateful if anyone could tell me that they have practical experience of the
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 booting perfectly from a bootable USB stick.

Kind regards, Vincent Kingston