[SOLVED] Can/Should I get 3070?

Oct 29, 2020
Not entirely sure what I should do... trying to avoid a full rebuild as I’m slowly rebuilding currently. I’d like to get the 3070, but I’m not sure if a 14% bottleneck is worth it..

Monitor: 1080p 244hz
Mobo: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming
CPU: i5-8400 GPU: 2060
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x8
PSU: 1100W Memory:
Samsung Evo 2T

Solution
It's not an entirely bad idea getting the card now if planning to upgrade for a better cpu eventually.

3070 is capable of reaching your monito's maximum refresh rate in a lot of titles but cpu may be maxed out in a few.

Can test to see how much your cpu is capable of by lowering resolution/details lowest possible. Use Msi Afterburner to monitor frame rates and total cpu usage and see how many fps you get before cpu reaches 100%. This'll roughly give you a guideline to compare against benchmarks in the same games you play.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's not an entirely bad idea getting the card now if planning to upgrade for a better cpu eventually.

3070 is capable of reaching your monito's maximum refresh rate in a lot of titles but cpu may be maxed out in a few.

Can test to see how much your cpu is capable of by lowering resolution/details lowest possible. Use Msi Afterburner to monitor frame rates and total cpu usage and see how many fps you get before cpu reaches 100%. This'll roughly give you a guideline to compare against benchmarks in the same games you play.

Solution
Oct 29, 2020

Thanks. Yeah I’ll have to test it I guess. I’m just trying to avoid the mobo and cpu right now. I was considering upgrading the CPU, but it would be quite pointless seeing as I can get an i5-10600k and motherboard for about $350. Trying to not pay twice, but enjoy better gaming for now.