[SOLVED] Can the AMD RX 5700 XT RAW II fit in a PC with the MSI Z170 A?

Cybershwartz

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Ive been hearing conflicting thoughts between my friends and the forums about the compatibility of AMD cards and Intel boards. I recently purchased the AMD RX 5700 XT RAW II and I bought a MSI Z170 A to use the GPU on. However I've been hearing stories from some friends of mine saying that AMD cards have issues with being compatible with that MSI board. Particularly with the AMD GPU's being way to close to the heatsync in most MSI mobos. I just need some more opinions on the matter and do you guys know if these two components are compatible or not? Thank you!

Solution
Ive been hearing conflicting thoughts between my friends and the forums about the compatibility of AMD cards and Intel boards. I recently purchased the AMD RX 5700 XT RAW II and I bought a MSI Z170 A to use the GPU on. However I've been hearing stories from some friends of mine saying that AMD cards have issues with being compatible with that MSI board. Particularly with the AMD GPU's being way to close to the heatsync in most MSI mobos. I just need some more opinions on the matter and do you guys know if these two components are compatible or not? Thank you!
Technically speaking, they should be 100% compatible, but I cannot say about the physical placement of the GPU with respect to the heatsink, that is something you will need...
Technically speaking, they should be 100% compatible, but I cannot say about the physical placement of the GPU with respect to the heatsink, that is something you will need to see for yourself after installing the GPU in the system and doing something GPU-intensive. Honestly though, modern GPUs are often fitted with very capable coolers, and so even if it is too close to the heatsink, the cooler on the card can account for it with slightly higher fan speeds without any problem. There is NO problem in using an AMD card with an Intel board, they are 100% compatible with each other.

Reactions: Cybershwartz
Solution