[SOLVED] Can you install nvidia gpu drivers to laptop

luqmoney

Reputable
Oct 26, 2017
Hey

My games become pixelated while gaming, because windows update screwed up my laptop. I have Asus Tuf Gaming fx505dt laptop and I wanted to use DDU to remove DGPU but do I have to download my driver from Asus or from Nvidia site? Is it safe me to download GeForce GTX 16 series (notebooks) 1650 to my laptop? Or is it recommended to download from ASUS, but Asus has drivers which are updated last time 2020/08/31.

Mod Edit for Language

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I don't like third party applications that claim to do it easier and better. That's not to say that it isn't better, but I've seen too many products like these start out simply enough, only to become so overbloated and overrated that they become generally useless, so why bother? It takes a couple more mouse clicks to do the same thing and it's not like you're doing it over and over.

As for the drivers, laptop manufacturers have a tendency to tweak the standard drivers from AMD/NVidia to either cut down power usage or thermal limits. These limitations are put in place by design to protect your system. Standard drivers don't have these limitations, so you could, potentially, put your system at risk. The only time I might consider...

smatiana1

Reputable
Oct 21, 2017
I'd recommend official GPU drivers over whatever your laptop maker has. The latter is probably moreso for BIOS and motherboard stuff. You should download GeForce Experience, then use that to get latest game ready drivers.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I don't like third party applications that claim to do it easier and better. That's not to say that it isn't better, but I've seen too many products like these start out simply enough, only to become so overbloated and overrated that they become generally useless, so why bother? It takes a couple more mouse clicks to do the same thing and it's not like you're doing it over and over.

As for the drivers, laptop manufacturers have a tendency to tweak the standard drivers from AMD/NVidia to either cut down power usage or thermal limits. These limitations are put in place by design to protect your system. Standard drivers don't have these limitations, so you could, potentially, put your system at risk. The only time I might consider going with drivers direct from AMD/NVidia is if the laptop manufacturer has stopped supported your system.

-Wolf sends

Solution

luqmoney

Reputable
Oct 26, 2017

As for the drivers, laptop manufacturers have a tendency to tweak the standard drivers from AMD/NVidia to either cut down power usage or thermal limits. These limitations are put in place by design to protect your system. Standard drivers don't have these limitations, so you could, potentially, put your system at risk. The only time I might consider going with drivers direct from AMD/NVidia is if the laptop manufacturer has stopped supported your system.

-Wolf sends
Thanks for the informative reply. Yes last time Asus updated drivers in this laptop were in 31.08.2020 so I was wondering should I just go for the Nvidia one

Can you explain why you dont recommend it, because last thing I want is this laptop not to go crazy
Generally, DDU should only be used when you have a problem that can't be fixed when just doing a "clean" (driver settings reset and old files deleted) install or an uninstall from the official GPU driver installer.

I've had only a couple issues with GPU drivers that could only be solved using DDU. The biggest issue I've run into is getting rid of AMD utilities so they don't run in the background or interfere with nvidia drivers and software.