Can you pre-install Windows 10 onto a SSD (using another computer) prior to installing the SSD into the final computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryes2000

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
I have an old computer on windows 7.
I want to swap that computer from a hard drive to SSD and want to do a clean install as there is so much junk on that old computer. I have a windows 10 KEY (not disc) that I bought.
I have 2 other computers in the house. Here is my question.

Can i hook up the new ssd to one of my other computers, and download windows 10 onto it, and THEN put the ssd into the old computer and have it work right away?

Reactions: Surr3al
Solution
If you have a legal copy of Win7 on the HDD, clone it to the SSD. Then take advantage of the free upgrade to Win10 that you will be badgered with from now until June.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Anytime you install an operating system on a drive in a PC, the windows installation will set itself up based on the motherboard devices, chipset, CPU, etc. it finds on that PC. Chances of it working flawlessly when moved to a 2nd PC are slim. Possible, but fraught with problems unless the two PCs are very similar.

Reactions: Surr3al

ryes2000

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016

Hmm ok how about if I plug the Ssd into the old computer thru a removable usb enclosure (which the Ssd came with) and somehow tried to install Windows 10 on that (can you do that on a computer running Windows 7) and then took out the old computer's hd and installed the Ssd?

USAFRet

Titan

No.
You can't install the OS to a USB connected drive.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You're making no sense. Why not just put the SSD into the old PC and install Win10 on it?

ryes2000

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016

Well I assume that since I don't have a Windows disc that if I put my blank Ssd into my desktop the computer won't allow me to get to the point where it allows me to download Windows onto the Ssd. I do see from the other answers that I can download the Windows 10 iso onto a usb stick (I'm assuming they mean the one at this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 - that I should copy onto my usb stick the .exe file that downloads)
but when I did that and installed the ssd, I ran into a few problems. First I wasn't sure which of the many USB ports on the front or back to put the usb drive. Second on the boot priority I assume I change it to usb first but there were several usb options on the bios.

USAFRet

Titan

You have a USB with a Windows install on it, created with the Microsoft USB/DVD tool.
You also have a hard drive (SSD?) connected via USB.
You wish to install boot from the USB install media and install the OS on that USB connected drive.

Correct?

This will not work.

Nov 12, 2021
I am not sure if I am the only one that knows about this but he could install it on one computer then transfer it over to another all he would have to do is install it on one computer after it's finished set up go to the device manager and uninstall everything inside device manage and do not scan for new hardware changes or it will try readding it back but after everything is uninstalled shut down the computer then move the hard drive over to the new computer and windows will set itself up again with all the new computers hardware. So far this has worked for me since Windows XP on up to 10

USAFRet

Titan
I am not sure if I am the only one that knows about this but he could install it on one computer then transfer it over to another all he would have to do is install it on one computer after it's finished set up go to the device manager and uninstall everything inside device manage and do not scan for new hardware changes or it will try readding it back but after everything is uninstalled shut down the computer then move the hard drive over to the new computer and windows will set itself up again with all the new computers hardware. So far this has worked for me since Windows XP on up to 10
  1. This is a 5 year old thread. Don't do that.
  2. It OFTEN does not work like that.

3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.