Question Cannot boot from freshly cloned drive

Sukkafish

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017
I have 2 drives. Both were formatted in MBR. I was doing some googling and learned a little about GPT and since my motherboard supports UEFI (or at least I think it does. It shows "Legacy+UEFI" and "UEFI" as Boot Options) I decided to convert the destination drive to GPT after I finished cloning to it.

So now I have my original MBR drive, and my freshly cloned GPT drive. The problem is that when I try to boot from the fresh drive and switch the Boot Option to "UEFI", no drives are detected from the boot order list. I also tried just unplugging my original drive to force it to boot from the new one, and I get to the black screen with text telling me there is no bootable drive and to plug one in and press a key.

I should also add that the new drive is detected once im in Windows 10 and booted off the original drive, as well as when the Boot Option in the BIOS is set to "Legacy+UEFI", just not when its set to "UEFI" only.

I should also add that the new drive is detected once im in Windows 10 and booted off the original drive, as well as when the Boot Option in the BIOS is set to "Legacy+UEFI", just not when its set to "UEFI" only.
There are two styles of cloning one that only copies all the files and one that does a sector to sector copy that second one will clone over the boot info turning the UEFI/GPT disk back into an MBR disk.

TRENDING THREADS