Cannot di a system restore

When I try to do a System restore I get the following message: "system
Restore application has encountered a problem." DEBUG or CANCEL (neither
works)

Error signature: AppName: rstrui.exe
AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180
ModName: srrstr.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180
Offset: 00009826

Anyone knows how I can get my System Restore to work again? I am running
Windows XP Pro SP2. Thanks

Hi,

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore folder and rename rstrui.exe
to rstrui.xxx.
System File Protection should replace it. If it is replaced click on
it and test System Restore.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

carballop wrote:
> When I try to do a System restore I get the following
> message: "system Restore application has encountered a
> problem." DEBUG or CANCEL (neither works)
>
> Error signature: AppName: rstrui.exe
> AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180
> ModName: srrstr.dll
> ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180
> Offset: 00009826
>
> Anyone knows how I can get my System Restore to work
> again? I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. Thanks

Renamed it as you suggested, System File protection replaced it OK, but I
still get the same message. Any other ideas? Thanks

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore folder and rename rstrui.exe
> to rstrui.xxx.
> System File Protection should replace it. If it is replaced click on
> it and test System Restore.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> carballop wrote:
>> When I try to do a System restore I get the following
>> message: "system Restore application has encountered a
>> problem." DEBUG or CANCEL (neither works)
>>
>> Error signature: AppName: rstrui.exe
>> AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180
>> ModName: srrstr.dll
>> ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180
>> Offset: 00009826
>>
>> Anyone knows how I can get my System Restore to work
>> again? I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. Thanks

Reinstalling should fix it. All existing restore points will be lost,
but that really doesn't matter because SR doesn't work.
How to reinstall System Restore.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR