[SOLVED] Cannot open ports on my router

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Hello,
Im trying to open ports on my router, TP-Link Archer VR400. The issue is that my public IP address indicating ALL ports closed, which is something I never experienced. Everything working fine, except Hamachi and stuff around hosting public Minecraft server.
I tried open several ports, I tried disable router firewall and my firewall in Windows, I tried to stop my antivirus software - Nothing works, still all ports closed. I did this with my previous router and everything was simple, this time I cannot perform the same way I did this last time. Ill be grateful for any tips!

Notebook: Lenovo Legion 5-15ARH05H (82B1004XCK )

Bez-n-zvu.png

Bez-n-zvu2.png

Bez-n-zvu.png

Thanks

Solution
You might get hamachi to work if you attempted to connect to some remote location. It sounds like you are looking to use hamachi to allow someone on the internet to connect to you. That needs a public ip.

The ISP has a router doing NAT in front of your router that allows multitple users to share a public IP. So when traffic from the internet goes to this public IP how does the router know to send this to your router rather than some other user. Just like your router needs rules to send it to the proper internal machine the ISP router would need rules but the ISP is not going to deal the headache of putting in port forwarding rules for its users. The vast majority of people do not need any kind of public IP so they...
You can't just scan random ports and expect them to work even if you have them port forwarded. You must have a actual application running on that port that will respond.

In any case the easist first test is to use the DMZ option since all you have to get right on that is the internal IP. Many times port forwarding rules on routers are confusing.

If this still doesn't work have you verified that the public IP you see on your router wan port is the same as the one sites like whatsmyip and port scanner sites see. If these are not the same you do not actually have a public IP and portwarding can not be done.

Reactions: AHITMAN

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
You can't just scan random ports and expect them to work even if you have them port forwarded. You must have a actual application running on that port that will respond.

In any case the easist first test is to use the DMZ option since all you have to get right on that is the internal IP. Many times port forwarding rules on routers are confusing.

If this still doesn't work have you verified that the public IP you see on your router wan port is the same as the one sites like whatsmyip and port scanner sites see. If these are not the same you do not actually have a public IP and portwarding can not be done.
Hmm... when I did that last time, I had most of them open... DMZ not helped me, but that's probably misunderstanding, what I needed to do. Hamachi saying "relayed tunnel" and I had a clue that ports are not open, which must be the same scenario with Minecraft server. I tried to watch most common issues but i must have very different issue. Any other blind shot? I know Im very general but Im just trying to catch any other clues.
Thanks so far.

Start by checking the most important thing. Look in your router for some screen that says status or something. It varies a bit but you should see the IP address your WAN port has been assigned. This must be a public IP. Rather than looking up what private/public IP are just compare it to a site like whatsmyip. It they are different
then you do not have a public IP and you will need to contact the ISP.

I would first delete any port forwarding you have attempted. Maybe factory reset the router if you have changed lots of stuff.

DMZ is pretty easy on most tplink there is some screen you can turn the feature on and put in the IP of the machine you have that is acting as the server.

If you have a public IP and you are using DMZ pretty much the only thing left is some configuration issue on the server pc. You can run wireshark on the PC and capture the traffic. Wireshark inserts before any firewall so it will see all traffic sent to the machine even if it is later blocked.

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Start by checking the most important thing. Look in your router for some screen that says status or something. It varies a bit but you should see the IP address your WAN port has been assigned. This must be a public IP. Rather than looking up what private/public IP are just compare it to a site like whatsmyip. It they are different

I would first delete any port forwarding you have attempted. Maybe factory reset the router if you have changed lots of stuff.

DMZ is pretty easy on most tplink there is some screen you can turn the feature on and put in the IP of the machine you have that is acting as the server.

If you have a public IP and you are using DMZ pretty much the only thing left is some configuration issue on the server pc. You can run wireshark on the PC and capture the traffic. Wireshark inserts before any firewall so it will see all traffic sent to the machine even if it is later blocked.
Ahh, yes, I see different IP addresses between the website and router status, so there's the issue probably. I'll try the ISP and we will see. Thanks!

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019

Okay, let's say that my IP is behind NAT. But that's still does not explain, why Hamachi is not working properly, when it was working without problems month ago. I can additionally pay public IP monthly but I'm quite afraid that the issue is somewhere else. Reinstalling Hamachi didnt solved anything. I cant really portforward without public IP? Even when I have this option on router (NAT Forwarding) ? UPnP detects the hamachi and it's port so it doesnt looks like blocked or something...
Sn-mek-obrazovky-2022-03-31-172213.png

Thank you so far.

You might get hamachi to work if you attempted to connect to some remote location. It sounds like you are looking to use hamachi to allow someone on the internet to connect to you. That needs a public ip.

The ISP has a router doing NAT in front of your router that allows multitple users to share a public IP. So when traffic from the internet goes to this public IP how does the router know to send this to your router rather than some other user. Just like your router needs rules to send it to the proper internal machine the ISP router would need rules but the ISP is not going to deal the headache of putting in port forwarding rules for its users. The vast majority of people do not need any kind of public IP so they would rather just charge the people that do.

Solution

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019

The ISP has a router doing NAT in front of your router that allows multitple users to share a public IP. So when traffic from the internet goes to this public IP how does the router know to send this to your router rather than some other user. Just like your router needs rules to send it to the proper internal machine the ISP router would need rules but the ISP is not going to deal the headache of putting in port forwarding rules for its users. The vast majority of people do not need any kind of public IP so they would rather just charge the people that do.
Okay, thank you for explaining, now I understand.
That means, Im not able to obey that, if I really want these thing host private without public IP or paying hosting anywhere right?

This is like having a house that does not have a address. Nobody can send you mail until you get a address.

Part of the reason hosting services have to charge what they do for their service is they must provide a IP address to you. There is massive shortage of IP addresses and it is almost impossible to get them so these companies must recover the costs. This is also why many smaller ISP do not give out public IP. These smaller ISP or ISP that started say in the last 10-15 yrs have trouble getting all the IP addresses they need. If you go back 20 or 30 years it was fairly easy to get large numbers of IP addresses just by requesting them so the large companies that were early adopters of internet have a lot. Nobody envisioned that every person in the world would have multiple computer type devices and that would all need IP addresses.

AHITMAN

Honorable
May 12, 2015

Thanks this helped me alot didnt know.