Canon Multipass F60 - MPservic.exe at 100% CPU cycles

Iggy

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

Since SP2 on XP Pro. with 512 ram and 2.5mh Dell, my printer has been
very slow in printing images. Canon has been no help and update to
drivers was done via Canon site. A look at the Windows Task Manager
shows that mpservic is at 100% when doing a print job. I allowed
communications on my SP2 firewall. After print job is complete the
tatal CPU usage is at 4%. Printer is connected via usb. I have two
usb2 connectors but it makes no difference when connected that way. I
just have no idea! Oh, I also deleted the drivers and reinstalled to
no avail. Thanks.

Iggy

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

jcord51@aol.com (Iggy) wrote in message news:<4a27d8f5.0410311343.55989e47@posting.google.com>...
> Since SP2 on XP Pro. with 512 ram and 2.5mh Dell, my printer has been
> very slow in printing images. Canon has been no help and update to
> drivers was done via Canon site. A look at the Windows Task Manager
> shows that mpservic is at 100% when doing a print job. I allowed
> communications on my SP2 firewall. After print job is complete the
> tatal CPU usage is at 4%. Printer is connected via usb. I have two
> usb2 connectors but it makes no difference when connected that way. I
> just have no idea! Oh, I also deleted the drivers and reinstalled to
> no avail. Thanks.
Just received an answer from Canon tech. support. "Thank you for
contacting Canon product support. To clarify you have
used the MultiPASS Service Pack 2 update from our website? If so
something else at this point is causing MPSERVICE to use 100% system
resources. At this point we recommend talking to your computer
manufacturer for assistance".
Mpservice is an application that is provided by Canon and NOT by Dell.
The fact that I have no other issues with any other media used by my
computer leads me to believe that the problem is with Canon
application. What do you think?

"Iggy" <jcord51@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just received an answer from Canon tech. support. "Thank you for
> contacting Canon product support. To clarify you have
> used the MultiPASS Service Pack 2 update from our website? If so
> something else at this point is causing MPSERVICE to use 100% system
> resources. At this point we recommend talking to your computer
> manufacturer for assistance".
> Mpservice is an application that is provided by Canon and NOT by Dell.
> The fact that I have no other issues with any other media used by my
> computer leads me to believe that the problem is with Canon
> application. What do you think?

It sounds like there was an issue with the Canon driver when operating under XP
SP2, and that Canon has an update to allow things to work under SP2. Have you
updated to the fixes Canon supplied to address the SP2 issues?

- Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Iggy

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message news:<10oj7qh34ig6mb4@corp.supernews.com>...
> "Iggy" <jcord51@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Just received an answer from Canon tech. support. "Thank you for
> > contacting Canon product support. To clarify you have
> > used the MultiPASS Service Pack 2 update from our website? If so
> > something else at this point is causing MPSERVICE to use 100% system
> > resources. At this point we recommend talking to your computer
> > manufacturer for assistance".
> > Mpservice is an application that is provided by Canon and NOT by Dell.
> > The fact that I have no other issues with any other media used by my
> > computer leads me to believe that the problem is with Canon
> > application. What do you think?
>
> It sounds like there was an issue with the Canon driver when operating under XP
> SP2, and that Canon has an update to allow things to work under SP2. Have you
> updated to the fixes Canon supplied to address the SP2 issues?
>
> - Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging
Yes I have from the Canon and the microsoft sites. I've removed and
reinstalled "mpservice" hoping that the item is corrupted. When the
printer stops printing the CPU cycles return to only 4%. I wonder if
anyone else has had this problem?

Hello,

I am have a similar problem with Canon MPSERVICE going to 100% CPU
cycles when the printer is unplugged from the computer.

I have a fairly new Dell Inspiron 8500 Laptop running XP Pro SP2.
I also have a Canon Multipass L6000 Laser Fax/Printer/Copier/Scanner
that I have begun traveling with in order that I can have fast and
high quality printing and faxing and copying in my hotel room.

I downloaded the L6000.EXE XP software from the Canon website and it
installed fine and the printer works great and CPU cycles are normal.

However, as soon as I unplug the Canon L6000 Laser Fax/Printer from
the laptop to use the computer in places other than in my hotel room,
the CPU cycles go to 100% and the systems grinds to a halt where it
won't even load web pages.

Using MSCONFIG, I have isolated the problem as definitely being
MPSERVICE. In MSCONFIG, if I disable MPSERVICE and reboot the
computer without the printer, the CPU cycles are normal. However, to
print, I have to go into MSCONFIG and enable MPSERVICE again and
reboot the laptop with the printer attached to the parallel port. And
when I want to take the laptop mobile, I have to go into MSCONFIG
again and disable MPSERVICE and reboot the computer without the
printer attached.

hog and Canon has an XP SP2 fix for MPSERVICE. I have not been able
to find it. Can someone please direct me to a website where I can get
a fix for MPSERVICE when using a Canon L6000 on XP Pro SP2.

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Mark