Feb 22, 2020
Hello, iv tried various programs to try and backup my c drive but i keep getting similar errors saying volume is locked or being used by another application. I've tried running backups in safe mode as well as closing all background tasks i can but still get this error. checked the drive and no errors were found.

looking for a solution that allows me to find what application is holding my c drive hostage and keeping me from being able to back it up. PLEASE HELP!

Hello, iv tried various programs to try and backup my c drive but i keep getting similar errors saying volume is locked or being used by another application. I've tried running backups in safe mode as well as closing all background tasks i can but still get this error. checked the drive and no errors were found.

looking for a solution that allows me to find what application is holding my c drive hostage and keeping me from being able to back it up. PLEASE HELP!
What kind of backups ? Which software/program ?

Feb 22, 2020
What kind of backups ? Which software/program ?
I've tried paragon backup &recovery, veeam and minitool shadow maker.trying full system backup as well as individual volume backups, and then finally I tried individual file backup from each of the drives and I get the same error for my c drive and even one of my external drives if I'm correct

Tanish2005

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019

I dont recommend using any 'anti-ransomware' softwares. I either recommend you to use an well known anti-virus, cuz most have ransomware protection. Ok, to the solution. Make a windows bootable usb using this link : https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10
USE A PENDRIVE OR CD
Boot up with this pendrive plugged in, if it dosent, while booting, press f12 many times until a 'Boot menu screen', navigate to the name of your pendrives manafacturer, for eg. If you have a Sandisk Cruzer Blade, it will show up as Sandisk Cruzer Blade 'the size of the pendrive'.
From here, go to install now, in enter the product key, click on 'i dont have a product key'. Assuming you have a C: and a D: -
  1. If you have somedata stored in your C:, dont click on format, just install it by clicking on the C: (if they dont have a name, check the partition size, its usually less than the D: and more than the system reserved drive), then the recovery will just replace the windows files with the new ones
  2. If you dont have any data whatsoever, not even on the 'Desktop', format the drive and then install it on that drive
Wait for it to happen, and it will automaticaly restart in 20 seconds, click on restart now, and as it shuts down to restart, reomove the pendrive before the logo arrives.
You will land in windows set up, here follow the onscreen instructions for setting up windows, after you are in, take a backup of windows ASAP, everything.
Then again plug in the pendrive and delete all the partions this time and do a clean install, guide here if you want :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbR6XT7fcA

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014

Not sure if you have fixed issue but if not have you tried activating Administrator account that is not your admin user account but a main administrator one which is disabled by default just google how to active it and log on with that account if that fails look for a file on google called "TakeOwnership" it's a couple of reg files to do and undo ability to enable you to right click and take ownership of file or whole drives if you can't find it buzz me and ill paste it up here for you to save as a reg file.

USAFRet

Titan
Not sure if you have fixed issue but if not have you tried activating Administrator account and log on with that account if that fails look for a file on google called "TakeOwnership" it's a couple of reg files to do and undo ability to enable you to right click and take ownership of file or whole drives if you can't find it buzz me and ill paste it up here for you to save as a reg file.
You don't want to "Take Ownership" of the entire C drive.
That WILL lead to complete non-functionality.