Can't create a new user account, (xp won't let me)

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When I create a new account and try to log on as that new account, I get a
little pop-up "Windows Cannot Load the Users Profile But Has Logged You On
with the Default Profile for the System" and it is basically a blank user
account with nothing in the My Documents ie. My Pictures, My Music, no
shared folder on C: etc... and nothing in Documents and settings, ie.
Application data, Local Settings, etc... and nothing will load, Task Manager
says only 4 processes open, no explorer etc...
I have been to these two places below but no help, the "remedy" is for
windows 2000 pro and windows xp pro, I have Windows XP Home SP1 on a new
network (I am holding out as long as I can before having to do SP2)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246936 Windows 2000
Pro.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309428 Windows XP
Pro

Please try the following Knowledge Base Article for help with this issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318011

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I create a new account and try to log on as that new account, I get a
> little pop-up "Windows Cannot Load the Users Profile But Has Logged You On
> with the Default Profile for the System" and it is basically a blank user
> account with nothing in the My Documents ie. My Pictures, My Music, no
> shared folder on C: etc... and nothing in Documents and settings, ie.
> Application data, Local Settings, etc... and nothing will load, Task
> Manager
> says only 4 processes open, no explorer etc...
> I have been to these two places below but no help, the "remedy" is for
> windows 2000 pro and windows xp pro, I have Windows XP Home SP1 on a new
> network (I am holding out as long as I can before having to do SP2)
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246936 Windows
> 2000
> Pro.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309428 Windows XP
> Pro

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well that might work for some but as I said, I can't create a new user
account. The resolve on this article is to... create a new user account... I
have tried several to no avail. I'm sure it has something to do with the
network as mentioned in one of the articles I posted. But according to the
article it is only supposed to be a problem in 2000 Pro and XP Pro not Home.

> Please try the following Knowledge Base Article for help with this issue:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318011
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > When I create a new account and try to log on as that new account, I get
> > little pop-up "Windows Cannot Load the Users Profile But Has Logged You
On
> > with the Default Profile for the System" and it is basically a blank
user
> > account with nothing in the My Documents ie. My Pictures, My Music, no
> > shared folder on C: etc... and nothing in Documents and settings, ie.
> > Application data, Local Settings, etc... and nothing will load, Task
> > Manager
> > says only 4 processes open, no explorer etc...
> > I have been to these two places below but no help, the "remedy" is for
> > windows 2000 pro and windows xp pro, I have Windows XP Home SP1 on a new
> > network (I am holding out as long as I can before having to do SP2)
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246936 Windows
> > 2000
> > Pro.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309428 Windows
XP
> > Pro

Have you tried logging into Safe Mode as the Administrator, this is the
hidden machine admin account and will be listed at Safe Mode as
Administrator, assuming you never made a password for this hidden account,
you leave it blank and press enter. Then try to create a new user account
and without logging on to the account, copy the files from the account you
cannot enter to the new account as specified in the other referenced article
in the article to which I gave you a link.