[SOLVED] Can't install OS from USB Drive

Feb 1, 2021
Hi Guys, I had an Intel motherboard and CPU and I Upgraded to the following:

GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite v2
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Sapphire 11265-67-20G Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5
Cooler Master Watt 650 Watt

The problem I am having is that I cannot install a new OS. I was able to use my old hard drive and when I booted with the new hardware it found all the drivers and it works great. But I have a new SSD drive and I would like to install Linux on it, but I cannot boot up with any Linux distro, even my windows USB will not boot up. They all freeze or give me different errors while booting. They do not even get stuck in the same place that is why I am not giving you guys a specific error. When I put any of the drives into my laptop, they boot up fine.

I have replaced the CPU & upgraded the motherboard from GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite to GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite V2 and still have the same issue. I tried booting with one memory and then the other and it does the same thing.

The only thing left to replace is the Video Card & the Power Supply. Could these be causing the issue? Is there a compatibility issue with AMD CPUs?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Solution
I figured out what the problem was. I was trying to install MXLinux but then I noticed there was a version for Advanced Hardware Support with a newer kernel and newer video drivers. That worked perfectly.

Hope this helps someone having the same issue.
Feb 1, 2021
Thank you Terry, I tried your recommendation but still, nothing even tried underclocking it & turned off Precision Boost OverDrive. The weirdest thing is that I can't seem to find anyone having the same issue.

Feb 1, 2021
I figured out what the problem was. I was trying to install MXLinux but then I noticed there was a version for Advanced Hardware Support with a newer kernel and newer video drivers. That worked perfectly.

Solution
Feb 4, 2021

I've been trying to install linux on a new similar build (ASrock b550 extreme4, ryzen 3600). When I try install or boot linux I get visual artifacts or errors. I just want to use ubuntu but also tried monjaro with the same result. Can you tell me more about how you solved this and the exact detailed steps? I'm not super tech savvy. How do I install Advanced Hardware Support when I can even boot to the usb stick?

Feb 1, 2021
I've been trying to install linux on a new similar build (ASrock b550 extreme4, ryzen 3600). When I try install or boot linux I get visual artifacts or errors. I just want to use ubuntu but also tried monjaro with the same result. Can you tell me more about how you solved this and the exact detailed steps? I'm not super tech savvy. How do I install Advanced Hardware Support when I can even boot to the usb stick?
In my case I had to burn another ISO to the USB drive. I am using MX LInux https://mxlinux.org/download-links/ if you take a look at option 1 How to choose you will see MX-19.3 x64 “ahs”, an “Advanced Hardware Support” that is the one that worked for me. I am not sure if Ubuntu has something like that. If not you can try to use MX Linux and it might work.

Feb 4, 2021
IMG-2010.jpg
In my case I had to burn another ISO to the USB drive. I am using MX LInux https://mxlinux.org/download-links/ if you take a look at option 1 How to choose you will see MX-19.3 x64 “ahs”, an “Advanced Hardware Support” that is the one that worked for me. I am not sure if Ubuntu has something like that. If not you can try to use MX Linux and it might work.

Here is the error I get when I try to actually boot any linux distro I have tried so far! Occasionally I get an error about unknown chipset 641 as well. In this case I tried MX Linux as you recommended. Not really sure what to do. I really dont want to buy another copy of windows. I have gotten windows 10 working, but a super old version (but at least it boots). This is all new hardware.

USAFRet

Titan
Here is the error I get when I try to actually boot any linux distro I have tried so far! Occasionally I get an error about unknown chipset 641 as well. In this case I tried MX Linux as you recommended. Not really sure what to do. I really dont want to buy another copy of windows. I have gotten windows 10 working, but a super old version (but at least it boots). This is all new hardware.
Please start a new thread for your particular situation.

thanks.

Feb 1, 2021
IMG-2010.jpg

Here is a step by step guide to install MX Linux
https://ssiddique.info/install-mx-linux-with-windows.html