Question Can't Overclock GPU with New PSU PC Crash Always

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
Hi Guys!!

Issue is my GPU is behaving fritzz with my new PSU ever since i installed it, causing Windows to crash or give me blank screens in a loop and ultimately it's reset now and at this point i have to setup all my software and work softwares again of which many were paid and lost hours of working.
The damage to my work is already done and i'm in pain because of that.

My GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB OC Direct CU II
My Old PSU: Seasonic S12 II 620W Bronze Certified
My New PSU: Phanteks Revolt Pro 850W Gold Certified

You might not like my GPU it's old but i'm waiting for navi / 3000 series to arrive.

With seasonic i was running my GPU overclocked to 1450mhz from 1303MHZ[Default OC], Power target 120% and Voltage set to 1.212V which is max allowed voltage and power in bios. It was running fine. i was gaming, rendring, coding etc Temps were not above 75'C and avg of 67'C on load.
So when i switched to new PSU Revolt Pro 850W since the beginning display drivers were crashing, windows was giving me blank screen with system on, some times on boot and some times in between usage., event viewer errors logs showed it's Kernel Power 41 errors. I re-seated GPU, clean installed drivers and tested system with and without overclock running heaven bench on 10780p Ultra 4x AA for 40 mins. It always crashed when running OC and stable without OC.. I also stress tested my system with aida x64 100% GPU and 100% CPU load @1hr without GPU OC, my total system wattage is 390W including Display and WIFI Router. This was 15 days ago. Also note my windows version was Win 10 1909

Now come to yesterday 30-JULY-2020, i have updated to win 10 2004 , on gaming i noticed my GPU performance was significantly poot so i installed latest nvidia drivers that has DX12 ultimate just for a test i tried GPU OC, 1450mhz it worked this time working with heaven for 40+ mins same preset , i game on it for 2-3 hrs no blank screen occurred or crashes.
Come to today 1-JUNE-2020 i started my system in morning and it keeps on looping me on automatic repair ultimately leading to resetting windows and i have to bear reinstall all my work setup.
I do not have any logs of previous windows install in event viewer, only thing i can rule out is the GPU OC that i done in night that has previously caused system crashed, but It never showed windows automatic repair though which it has now. With older ver of windows previously it just shows blank screen and then i had to force restart my pc .

Please help me to fix this issue. I have tried various stress test and things nothing has worked out yet. Just for info this is my over all sepcs:
Ryzen 3700X OC to 4.05GHZ @ 1.22V
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 Wifi
ADATA XPG D60G 32GB DDR4 3600 [Default XMP]
Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB
ADGA XPG S40G 1TB nvme SSD ,
Seagate barracuda 2TB
PSU i mentioned already.

Last edited: