[SOLVED] Can't pinpoint the problem with a new display not working on 240hz with a GL553VD Laptop.

Jul 13, 2021
So, I searched thorougly through the moist caves of the internet and have found nothing on my specific problem:
I just bought the ACER XZ270 X, which has all that fancy-schmancy stuff of 240hz, 1ms blablabla. It has 2 HDMI entries and 1 DP entry. I'm using the HDMI 1 entry and have already tryied the HDMI 2 entry (i do not own a DP cable or adapter, nor does my laptop has a slot for it).
So, using the HDMI entrance, with the HDMI cable that came with it (quite short and robust, with those power-surge protection thingies at both ends) the display cannot seem to go higher than the classic 60hz. I've tryied absolutely everything I could find regarding display settings, adapter properties and whatnot. Also tryied reinstalling from scratch my intel hd graphics (they seem to run the show on the display, and not my graphics card, which is a basic GTX 1050).
The intel graphics command center report that the maximum display refresh rate is 60hz, and I don't know what is limiting it. Might be the intel graphics thing, might be that my laptop doesn't support those 1.X or 2.X hdmi things (which I havent fully understood it yet as it's a messy subject with little support on my laptop's manufacturer's website).... Really lost here.
So what I have in mind is -
  1. Trying to buy a DP adapter and cable and seeing if that works? (I don't think it will since in the manual it says that both hdmi and dp work at max 240hz in 1920 x 1080)
  2. Completely uninstalling intel hd graphics thing and seeing if my geforce drivers can run at higher than 60hz? (also, on my NVidia control panel the only option that i have is for 3D Settings, i cant tweak with anything regarding my display there, only on intel's, which shows that their maximum is 60hz)
  3. Accept that my laptop can't run higher than 60hz because of it's hdmi entrance?
I'm adding possible screenshots that might help with this.
And know that i'm absolutely grateful for whomever takes its time to help me.

Last edited:
Solution
240hz will require displayport. Intel graphics are separate from Nvidia. The Intel graphics probably don't support over 60hz. You would have to use Nvidia control panel, to set your refresh, for the 1050.
Jul 13, 2021
Well apparently I can't simply upload pics from my pc so if images are indeed necessary I'll end up posting them later on by demand... Also, my processor is the i7-7700HQ, with the latest Intel HD Graphics 630

Jul 13, 2021
It looks like the HDMI port is tied to the iGPU, so you're limited to what it's capable of. If you have another output, it's likely tied to the dGPU. Practically all of the laptops I've had with this setup were configured like this.
So basically I'm done? damn. No other outputs, so I'm fixed with 60hz on the iGPU? No adapter or any other thing to help me achieve glorious 240hz?

Jul 13, 2021
240hz will require displayport. Intel graphics are separate from Nvidia. The Intel graphics probably don't support over 60hz. You would have to use Nvidia control panel, to set your refresh, for the 1050.
So you're saying that to get Nvidia to control the display I have to get a displayport? Because the manual says that HDMI should hold 240hz 1920 x 1080 fine.
Edit: and by displayport you mean the cable, right? (my laptop only has hdmi output, but I could get an adapter)

logainofhades

Titan
You do not need the cable to get into Nvidia control panel. You will need to go to Nvidia control panel in order to set the refresh rate over 60hz. Generally, in a laptop, the IGP runs until the GPU is needed, for say a game, or any kind of workstation tasks that uses it. There should be a setting that can force the use of the Nvidia GPU, full time though.

Reactions: helssing05
Jul 13, 2021
You do not need the cable to get into Nvidia control panel. You will need to go to Nvidia control panel in order to set the refresh rate over 60hz. Generally, in a laptop, the IGP runs until the GPU is needed, for say a game, or any kind of workstation tasks that uses it. There should be a setting that can force the use of the Nvidia GPU, full time though.
Yeah that's one of my biggest problemos.... My nvidia control panel shows nothing regarding display, and everywhere I looked on the pc or the internet there's no option to switch out which one runs the display.
I know the thing about the variable demand regarding IGP/GPU on programs like games and stuff.... Don't think it applies here tho. I'll find out how to post pics in this forum and i'll upload one

here: View: https://imgur.com/a/iqyjatt

Jul 13, 2021
Yeah, again, that's especifically for programs only, not the display itself. I think that hotaru.hino pretty much summed it up, maybe... For clarification, I did try switching the preferred graphics processor and rebooted the laptop. No change at all in any and every option concerning display. :((

I am really sorry to tell you this, but your laptop will not support high refresh rate panels, let me explain:

1. Your i7's iGP for some reason supports resolutions of up to 4k but nothing beyond 60Hz. Which makes no sense as say 1080P 120Hz is less demanding than 4k 60Hz. But I digress.

2. Your laptop has Nvidia Optimus technology, meaning every single frame being outputted from your GTX 1050 has to be routed to system VRAM then to the integrated graphics to be displayed on your monitor.

This means that the GTX 1050 has no physical video connections to your built-in monitor, and most certainly your HDMI and DisplayPort outputs. It's super rare that a budget laptop has a direct-wired connection from a DP, HDMI or Type C port to a discrete GPU. But it's still a possibility nonetheless.

This is why you see no display settings in the Nvidia control panel because the 1050 has no control over the screen whatsoever. The integrated graphics still handles the monitor output, even if you're gaming on the 1050.

The only way you can possibly get a high refresh rate to work is if by some miracle your laptop maker decided to routed one of the Displayport/Type C (if you have one)/or HDMI ports directly to the GTX 1050. In that case you can get full 240Hz support.

Spec sheets won't tell you what is wired to what, so you'll have to test each port out yourself.

I hope this helps! As an owner of an Optimus laptop for a long time, these are also the issues I've had to deal with.

You won't find these problems on high-end gaming laptops though. It's mainly a budget laptop issue.

Reactions: helssing05
Jul 13, 2021
I am really sorry to tell you this, but your laptop will not support high refresh rate panels, let me explain:

1. Your i7's iGP for some reason supports resolutions of up to 4k but nothing beyond 60Hz. Which makes no sense as say 1080P 120Hz is less demanding than 4k 60Hz. But I digress.

2. Your laptop has Nvidia Optimus technology, meaning every single frame being outputted from your GTX 1050 has to be routed to system VRAM then to the integrated graphics to be displayed on your monitor.

This means that the GTX 1050 has no physical video connections to your built-in monitor, and most certainly your HDMI and DisplayPort outputs. It's super rare that a budget laptop has a direct-wired connection from a DP, HDMI or Type C port to a discrete GPU. But it's still a possibility nonetheless.

This is why you see no display settings in the Nvidia control panel because the 1050 has no control over the screen whatsoever. The integrated graphics still handles the monitor output, even if you're gaming on the 1050.

The only way you can possibly get a high refresh rate to work is if by some miracle your laptop maker decided to routed one of the Displayport/Type C (if you have one)/or HDMI ports directly to the GTX 1050. In that case you can get full 240Hz support.

Spec sheets won't tell you what is wired to what, so you'll have to test each port out yourself.

I hope this helps! As an owner of an Optimus laptop for a long time, these are also the issues I've had to deal with.

You won't find these problems on high-end gaming laptops though. It's mainly a budget laptop issue.

You sire, have just lifted a lot of doubt from my heart. Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, I really appreciate it. I do have a type C connection, hope it ends up working by some miracle of the nether gods!

TRENDING THREADS